cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pbl inventory retreival

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi team,

I am working with a customer that was looking into DataWindow, but it looks like it was phased out and possibly rolled into PowerBuilder.  I gave him a tutorial for creating visual custom user object assemblies, but it looks like that may be more than he needs.  I have posted his comments below, hoping for some guidance.  I appreciate any feedback.  Thank you!

"I looked at the link you supplied and the capability is fascinating and powerful but way more complex than what I need to do.

Actually I was looking for information on how to interrogate  a pbl file and extract this type of information.

(Attached screenshot)

I don’t need or want to modify the objects outside of InfoMaker. I’m quite happy to use the tools that were designed to create and modify the objects.  

I’m attempting to develop a tool that would allow me to compare two versions of an InfoMaker library and highlight the differences. Simple differences such as an additional or missing object.  Difference in Modification or Compilation Date.  I had hoped the DataWindow.net components might provide an Object model that would enable that ability.

1. 1. Would any of the DataWindow.net components  expose the information that I’m trying to extract.
  2. 2. Is there any documentation or a white paper that might would explain the structure of the pbl library specifically the object inventory?

As I mentioned I don’t need to create or modify the objects just retrieve an inventory like the one in the picture.  How can I tell what reports are in a library without opening the library in InfoMaker capturing the list as I show and doing the same thing with the other version of the file and manually comparing the two screen shots.

I can compare the time stamps or make and compare a HASH on each file to see if they are identical but when they aren’t how can I identify the differences?"

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris;

Looks like your using InfoMaker (IM) - PowerBuilder's little brother/sister product. IM utilizes PB's DataWindow technology internally to drive (what you probably know as) the Report Painter inside IM. Report objects are basically "read only" DataWindows. IM also stores Report objects inside a library with the same format as PowerBuilder - hence the .PBL file designation.

That being said, since IM's library and object class format are the same as PowerBuilder you can use a tools like the following to compare IM libraries & objects:

1) PBL Compare:  http://www.pblsoft.com/

2) ProDIFF:  PowerBuilder Utilities

3) PB Tools: PBTools PowerBuilder Utility - Home

4) PBL Peeper:  PBL Peeper

Note: Some utilities require a purchase and some are free.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You might want to post this over in the PowerBuilder Developer Center, that's where most of the developers hang out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Done.  Thanks for sending me to the right place, Bruce