cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Inventory Manager 4.1 for Android. How to use Camera Barcode Scanner in the process of inventory.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

We use Mobile Inventory Manager 4.1 for Android.

The Mobile Device has a camera.

How can I use Camera Barcode Scanner in the process of inventory?

In the Issue process some fields (for Example Cost Center) have Camera Barcode Scanner button to scan Cost Center like EAN code through the camera.

But I don't see similar button anywhere in the Inventory process.

Is it possible to wook with Mobile Inventory Manager like with classic Mobile Scanner.

1. Enter a place

2. Scan an EAN

3. Enter an amount?

1. Enter a place

2. Scan an EAN

3. Enter an amount?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Konstantin,

Most of our application that gets released is based on a requirements done by the project owners. If you want to configure your application to scan, you will need to use the Agentry editor to configure it as field type - Barcode Scanner. This will enable the field to have the capability of scanning.

Example:

By enabling the Barcode Type you will enable the soft scan button and hardware scan button tied to the particular device (like the camera by default on Android devices).

So in theory our out of the box Inventory Manager have defined scanning fields. But this does not stop you if you wanted to do more with it.  This is why you can download the Editor export and if your business needs require to improve it, you may either customized this yourself or file a feature request with your Account Executive in SAP to add the flow into the standard Inventory Manager product.

If you want to use your own scanner you may play with the open scanner libraries of Agentry / SMP 3.0 SDK.

Regards,

SAP Mobile Support Team

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mark.

Thank you for information.

Could you answer a some more questions about the possibilities of inventory process using Mobile Inventory Manager.

1. Do the Mobile Inventory Manager support using Barcode Scanner in the process of inventory

in any way with default settings?

2. Do the Mobile Inventory Manager support using Barcode Scanner in the process of inventory to perform Automatic Searching of material by barcode from EAN/UPC field of material (and Additional EANS).

3. Do the Mobile Inventory Manager support text search by "EAN/UPC field" or "Material Description" in Dialog of Adding materials.

I see only Material Number field to use when open Dialog to add Material in the Inventory document?

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Konstantin,

For your questions:

1. Do the Mobile Inventory Manager support using Barcode Scanner in the process of inventory

in any way with default settings?

Answer: As shown in one of the picture I have above, the fields that is marked as Barcode scanner will have a picture of a soft button to do scanning.  So in theory the out of the box, has certain fields identified to be used with bar code scanning. 

Like all other customers, if you want to futher customized it, you will need to edit the editor and do a publish to make it scannable.  This is a typical step done by people in the System Integration business who are trained in Agentry when they take jobs on customization.

2. Do the Mobile Inventory Manager support using Barcode Scanner in the process of inventory to perform Automatic Searching of material by barcode from EAN/UPC field of material (and Additional EANS).

Answer: The usage of Complex Table with search and scan normally performs this function wherein if you have a list of data and you scan it, it should automatically filter it accordingly if available.

The type of filter fields are all configured in the Agentry editor wherein you can add scanning index. Research search indexes.

3. Do the Mobile Inventory Manager support text search by "EAN/UPC field" or "Material Description" in Dialog of Adding materials.

I see only Material Number field to use when open Dialog to add Material in the Inventory document?

Answer: The display of the return for the complex table is defined in the editor.  I agree that the out of the box shows just the number but the customer/user does not know sometimes what the number means so they want to see description.  The data presented or returned can be manipulated in the Agentry editor based on the user needs to show description.  So in essence, you may edit this as needed in the editor.

Study how the complex table drop down is setup and you may see in the editor that you can show the other columns instead like description.

Regards,

Mark Pe

SAP Platinum Support Engineer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

I already created Agentry based app from scratch using next instruction:

https://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-47651

According to instructions it is needed to have Java part of Agentry application to extend Comlex table.

I don't have Java part of the Mobile Inventory Manager.

Can I extend ctmaterialstoragelocation Comlex table without having Java part?

May be it will work automatically if I create new field in Agentry part and field with same name in SAP ERP class method /SMERP/CL_MM_MATERIAL_DO.GET_MATPLANT (The method that return data for complex table ctmaterialstoragelocation)?

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Konstantin,

Hi. If this question is different than the original barcode scan, I suggest you open a different thread as it will help get users/designers to submit their ideas.

Most of our product uses the generic com.*.complextable class file.  This class file takes into account the name of your Agentry editor complex table and fields and treats it like an object with set properties to be sent to the backend to get data down based on the MOBILE ERP addon - /SYCLO/ConfigPanel MBO Complex Table definition.  This is normally what somebody will do on designing from scratch.

If you are using the released version of Java for one of the products (ex: Inventory Manager wherein it comes with a Java SAPIM*.jar, it will have the package that calls out the needed information + the configpanel will have the /SMERP/CL_MM_MATERIAL_DO.GET_MATPLANT method defined).  So in theory, the CT defined in the ConfigPanel can be copied or extended (Create a Z*CT table for it) and you can modify as needed. 

There are exercises to do this in the main SAP Mobile Class MOB310 (Work Manager class). They do this as one of the main labs on this official class (Google SAP Class MOB310 - to get information).  Some people in the SCN teaches this class on a consulting basis if you want to just fly the instructor to your area. I believe there may be certification at one point that gets offered (Work Manager). 

There is also a full SAP Mobile certificate (All of SMP, Agentry, Hana, HCPMS and others) that you can get tested to get certified (You can put in your resume that you passed it).  The overall SAP Mobility certificate may be a hard certificate to take as you need to know all of SAP mobility products to pass it while in practice, some of the system integrator only knows some not all. 

Regards,

Mark Pe
SAP Platinum Support Engineer