cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tab merging and field validations

pakula123
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts , In IW32 we have done lot of tab merging , brought over equipment and other fields that are required above the tabs of sap and hided those tabs . Now situation is we have to handle those errors given by SAP via scripting so that our screens dont messup and go back to original tab while there is a warning error or error message in SAP orginal tabscreens  . Now lets take a case of Table control where we can have any number of fields , lets say user gives incorrect value then the cursor goes back to original screen  and throws a standard SAP message , at this point the user gives  the correct value and press enter it comes back to my new screen . It looks really odd when the user sees the screen tab which is already hidden , yes we understand that there is a script code that can be written to handle so that we dont show the hidden tab but this is tedious  task to script all the field validations. In my opinion ,SAP has to provide some kind of solution with in Personas product to handle these error handling and validations for fields where  the cursor does not go back to Original SAP screen. This is a big gap with in the personas product  and has to be addressed by SAP . Best regards, pradeep.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Pradeep,

How would you imagine Personas handling these situations without adequate scripting?

The base transaction logic is not changed by a Personas flavor, i.e. if there is an error situation, the standard code will do what is happenign in the original transaction. Personas is a frontend tool, it cannot (and should not) get around any such validations. So it won't be able to magically take care of responding to such an error message without the necessary script.

pakula123
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Tamas . Let me check again on this and come back to you .

Best regards,

pradeep.

pakula123
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tamas , We have used a different approach here and avoided tab merging in this case . But comming to the point where there is scripting required for validation of fields i agree with you, how ever there is lot of script code that needs to be written incase there are so many fields (including fields in table control) . This is adding complexity to scripting  to simplify screens . It would have been really great if SAP can handle such validation automatically just like auto code generation feature in SP3. I am not asking for magic but asking for a Logic that is prewritten by SAP for field validations that can make developers life easy 🙂    . Best regards, pradeep.

tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The trouble is that it is really hard to guess what kind of error message can the standard transaction generate. In order to provide any feature, there should be a logic the Personas tool can apply. Do you think it is feasible to come up with such a logic? I don't really see how should this work.

We are all for making developers' (and end users') life easier, but with so many possibilities, there doesn't appear to be a way to automate such responses by a frontend tool which doesn't know anything about the underlying transaction's inner logic. With Personas, we are bound to the screen changes of the original transaction and cannot estimate what error message will be thrown at us.

pakula123
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tamas , I am not an expert like you guys but this is just my thought and this is what I think ,no matter what error that is thrown by standard SAP  we just need to display it in status bar message at the bottom of screen of newly created flavour or transaction. For example a new flavour is created for IW32 and some tab merging's have been done just like I explained in our earlier case ,for some reason lets say a error message shows up due to incorrect field , we need to capture that error and show it in the bottom of screen as error or warning message (currently it takes back to standard SAP screen which looks odd). The trick here could be connecting dots like what is the flavour id that is being generated dynamically and how can it be attached to error message . If this could be written as script and then attached to flavour/transaction that we created it would be really nice . It would be nice to see such feature instead of SAP partners writing the code at client site during projects which is lot of time consuming . Yes I agree that SAP can not rewrite the logic as scripts for personas and  for all the existing transactions but atleast SAP can start somewhere doing this way and provide it as new feature in coming releases (SP4/SP5). Imagine  how much time and effort that we can save on this ,providing this feature is certainly not ignorable and would be beneficial for most of the partners/SAP customers. Best regards, pradeep.

Answers (0)