cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has SQL Anywhere been tested on outdated linux platforms only?

marten_lehmann
Discoverer
0 Kudos

As you can see at , SQL Anywhere 17 has been tested on Ubuntu 12.04 only, which is a Long Term Release (LTS) from April 2012. After that, the Ubuntu 14.04 release of April 2014 appeared. Now this year, Ubuntu 16.04 has been released.

Still, the only tested platform for SQL Anywhere 17 is a Linux vom 2012, which is 4 years old, which is like several decades in human years. Or what's Windows 7 to Windows 10 if you'd like to compare it in the Microsoft world.

If there's a test suite to verify the installation and runtime, why hasn't it been executed on the recent, most popular linux? Even when SQL Anywhere was released at the end of 2015, it could have been tested in Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 16.04 could have been added in the meantime.

It's a bit better on the so-called "Enterprise" linux platforms: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 was released in 2014 and SQL Anywhere has been tested on it, but it contains a lot of outdated packages and it's not very widespread on cloud platforms.

I don't really feel like spending money on an upgrade to SQL Anywhere 17 if no one seems to care about it any longer.

Can somebody from SAP please contact the QA-people and re-run tests with current linux versions?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member186998
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marten,

I confirmed update of Linux distributions.

Please confirm it.

SAP SQL Anywhere for Linux Supported Platforms

Thanks,

Atsushi Asano

marten_lehmann
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thanks, I can confirm that Ubuntu 14.04 has been added as a Tested Distribution for SQL Anywhere 17 on the Supported Platforms page.

Right now we are already evaluating Ubuntu 16.04 though, which has been released about 6 months ago (whereas 14.04 is from 2014) and Ubuntu switched from Upstart to the Systemd boot system. Can you perform a test on this platform as well?

former_member186998
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marten,

We do test newer Ubuntu 16.04. And we intend to update the product support matrix in the next few weeks.

Please wait a little more.

Thanks,

Atsushi Asano

former_member186998
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marten,

I confirmed the test status of the OS.

We do test newer OS's. And we intend to update the product support matrix in the next few weeks.

Please wait a little more.

Thanks,

Atsushi Asano

former_member186998
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marten,

I confirm an update plan of Linux distributions.

Thanks,
Atsushi Asano