cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Space with SAP HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One of our customers is down to about 700mb of space left on their shared folder on their Linux Server. After looking at it, I'm quite confused as what could be removed.. and what couldn't. (New to the Linux side of it, not sure the importance of the logs). Any idea to guide me in the right direction to getting my client some more space?

I'm not too sure what logsegments are, or how important the datavolumes are. Having done some research, it didn't really help clear it up, but confused me more. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jamie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

Don't know why data and log volumes are located in directory shared/NDB/global/hdb.

Consider to increase file system size, or you can move data and log volume to other directories as per

Regards,

Ning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ning,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm not sure where it was meant to be, but I know I never set up this system and I'm out of contact with the person who did. (Although I know they had SAP on hand when setting it up)

I've looked at the method you've suggested, and I've put it to consideration as I'm hoping to try to avoid doing much moving around as I mentioned, I'm actually pretty new to the HANA/Linux side of SAP so it's all a bit alien yet. But I have found something, I found another file that matches the one in shared:

I'm not sure of the comparison/importance of both, but both amount to the same amount of space but the log segments inside are slightly different so not sure why we have two. I've seen a lot of mentioning of " ALTER SYSTEM RECLAIM LOG" to be executed in the studio, but I've hesitated in using it as it's a live customer database and I obviously don't want to risk it, but I can't make backups yet to move to my own server to test. Do you know much about the  ALTER SYSTEM RECLAIM LOG?

Regards,

Jamie

former_member183326
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ALTER SYSTEM RECLAIM LOG is explained here. http://help.sap.com/hana/SAP_HANA_Administration_Guide_en.pdf

**Do not do this using the OS, this will corrupt the DB**

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

/usr/sap/NDB/SYS/glocal is a soft link to directory /hana/shared/NDB/global, so you can see the same folders under different place.

I just guess that currently log backup can't be finished as /hana/shared is almost full. Log is continually written into the online redo logs volumes. As a result, the size of directory /hana/shared/global/hdb/log is almost 35GB.

If most of the log segments are in state FREE, SQL state ALTER SYSTEM RECLAIM LOG can be helpful. (for how to check log segment status, please refer to 2083715 - Analyzing log volume full situations).

You'd better let Linux administrators extend the file system /hana/shared.

Regards,

Ning

Answers (0)