cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 2016 and runtime

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a question and I didn't find the information in the different parts of the site/community.

I come from Crystal report 2008 + runtime 12 or 12.1, reports are generated/printed from .NET client application and I want to upgrade all my reports.

1 - Is it possible to use Crystal Reports 2016 to edit/create reports ? What about compatiblity ? I know I can try some will a trial version.

2 - What about the runtime to use with reports edited with CR 2016 ? Is it compatible with the runtime 13.0.X of CR for Visual Studio ?

3 - About maintenance/support date, in it is announced on Dec 31 - 2018 for SAP Crystal Reports, developer version for MS Visual Studio. What does it implies regarding the runtime ? Especially regarding my previous question about compatibility with CR 2016 (end of maintenance announced in 2020).

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Very little has changed with Crystal 2016 - it's mostly just a name change to go with the release of the 4.2 version of BusinessObjects.  So, the format of the .rpt file is essentially the same and it should run fine in the latest version of the SDK (SP 17). 

Unlike Crystal 2008, the Crystal SDK and runtimes are no longer installed when you install Crystal.  Instead, you would go here to get it.  Use the "Install Executable" to get integration into VS on your developer workstation.  DO NOT install any of the runtimes on that machine!  The runtimes are meant exclusively for use when deploying your application.

The SDK is updated with a new service pack about every quarter.  If/when version 13.x is replaced, I would expect its replacement to be compatible with any versions of Crystal that are still under support at that time.  However, I am not an SAP employee and I do not directly know what the plans are.

-Dell

Answers (0)