cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUM 17 on Windows - sapcontrol error in PREP_INPUT/INSTANCELIST_PRE

0 Kudos

Hello,

I am running SUM 17 for a DMO procedure, on a Windows Server.

Upgrade from ERP6EHP6 to EHP8 and migration from MSSQL to HANA.

In the Extraction phase, in PREP_INPUT/INSTANCELIST_PRE phase, I get the following error:

Last error code set: Process E:\usr\sap\<SID>\DVEBMGS<inst_nr>\exe/sapcontrol.exe exited with 1, see 'E:\usr\sap\<SID>\SUM\abap\log\SAPup.ECO' for details.

The SAPup.ECO log reports:

EXECUTING E:\usr\sap\<SID>\DVEBMGS<nr>\exe\sapcontrol.exe -prot PIPE -host <hostname> -nr <inst_nr> -function AccessCheck Start

AccessCheck

FAIL: The user name or password is incorrect., CreateFile failed in plugin_pipefopen()

SAPup> Process with PID 9760 terminated with status 1 at 20160726084455!

The only two users that I enter in SUM are: DDIC/000 and domain\SAPServiceSID users.

I checked again the login with these users to make sure the password is correct, and it is.

I also already tried the following two notes:

1. 1563660 - sapcontrol, user authorization issues (SUM)

I adjusted the value of parameter service/protectedwebmethods to SDEFAULT, then to DEFAULT, then to NONE, and after each try, I restarted the SAP system and sapstartsrv services and I re-executed the step in SUM, but the error persists.

2. 1715038 - PREP_INPUT/INSTANCELIST_PRE <sid>adm user can not be verified in a distributed environment

I have created local users <sid>adm and SAPService<SID>, and added them to Administrator group, and restarted/re-registered SUM in hostcontrol with the local <sid>adm user, but the error persists.

saphostagent is 7.21 patch 15

I am also checking SAP note 1903632 - sapcontrol - "CreateFile failed in plugin_pipefopen()" error occurs sporadically

But \\.\pipe doesn't seem to exist. Is there any place else where sapcontrol would put it's file sapcontrol_XX ?

Or have you encountered the error above previously?

Thank you,

Delia

P.S: In the error there is prompted the actual hostname and SID and instance number, but I replaced it in this post only with <hostname> <SID> <inst_nr>

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

Many thanks for your suggestions.

The issue is resolved now.

It is was a problem with Windows Server 2012 and hostname aliases.

The solution is in the link below:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/8b99bef3-434a-41a7-bff4-a29ad004e0e7...

Solution:

1. Open regedit.exe

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Lsa

3. Create REG_DWORD with name DisableLoopbackCheck and value 1

The issue was that from the local server I could access \\alias_hostname from Windows Explorer. This is why the SAP system couldn't access this path.

Have a great day,

Delia

isaias_freitas
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Glad to hear the good news!

And thanks for sharing the solution .

Have a great day too!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

isaias_freitas
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Delia,

The "\\.\pipe" resource is not accessible through the Windows Explorer or the "Start / Run" box.

But it is there .

Did you disable the Windows UAC (User Access Control) features?

Is the Windows Service SAP<SID>_<inst_nr> being started by "domain\SAPServiceSID"?

About the user ID you are using to execute SUM, is it a local administrator?

Regards,

Isaías

0 Kudos

Hi Isaías,

Thank you for the prompt response and letting me know about \\.\pipe, it was a headache.

The Windows UAC is set to a minimum value, which is "Never notify".

The service SAP<SID> is started by domain\SAPServiceSID, and not in the format of SAPServiceSID@domain. I checked also the note 2310060

First time I tried to execute SUM with domain\<sid>adm user. After the error and after some failing attempts, I have reset the procedure, and restarted SUM with local\<sid>adm user. Of course, both times, running cmd as Administrator. The error persists even on the local\<sid>adm.

Have a great day,

Delia

isaias_freitas
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Delia,

You are welcome!

You can see the "\\.\pipe" resources using the "Process Explorer" tool.

About the issue, can you attach the "sapstartsrv.log" file to this thread?

This file will be located at the "work" folder of the affected instance.

If you "zip" the file you can attach the "zip" to this thread instead of pasting the whole content of the file in your reply.

Have a great day too!

Isaías

0 Kudos

Hey Isaías,

I attached the log in .txt format

isaias_freitas
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Delia,

The sapstartsrv was able to open the "named pipe":

Webservice named pipe thread started, listening on port \\.\pipe\sapcontrol_69

Maybe try to restart the service (SAP<SID>_<inst_nr>)...

(notice that restarting the service while SAP is running will cause SAP to be stopped!)

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Delia,

did you recreate this service sapstartsrv  or not yet? If not then please recreate this service and try again.

for reference, Please check below thread.

OpenCluster failed: 1753

Regards,

0 Kudos

Hello Isaías,

Yes, I have restarted several times both SAP<SID>_<inst_nr> services, for ASCS and for PAS.
Also from Services, and with the command: sapcontrol -nr <instance Number> -function RestartService

Unfortunately, the problem seems to be deeper
Even though the error message is straight forward: user or password is incorrect

Thanks for the input.

Delia

0 Kudos

Hello Abdul,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I uninstalled and reinstalled the SAP<SID>_XX services and the result is the same

Have a great day,

Delia

isaias_freitas
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

hmmmm, what happens if you logon to the server as "<sid>adm", open a command prompt (as administrator) and execute the command that is failing?

sapcontrol -nr <inst_nr> -function AccessCheck Start

Does it fail too, in such manual execution?

Isaías

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

Please do following steps.

login on cmd

To delete

ntscmgr remove service name,

To create

sapstartsrv

Also right click on the service, select properties and check if its pointing to the right executable.

check the loop back entry in host file and share the host file. Check this note

1565645 - SAP composite note: sapcontrol

Regards,