cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Aging in S4 Hana.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are in migration phase of S4 Hana simple finance. Due to some reasons we have been asked to archive all the documents. We have configured Data aging and run data aging job for object FI_DOCUMENTS. some how the documents are not moved to historic data. Any inputs are of great help.

Regards

Shiva

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shiva

Most likely you're going to have to provide more detail to what you're seeing, what you expect to see etc for anyone to give a decent answer to your question.

You're sure you have the proper understanding of data aging? It only moves data to the cold storage area meaning the data doesn't reside "in-memory" but instead resides on disk and when you call it it's loaded into in-memory. So data aging is a way to save memory for documents that are seldomly called up, check the definition here:

Data Aging for Financial Accounting Documents - SAP Library

Hope this helps, otherwise, like I said, please specific (with screenshots preferably even) what you mean ~ ps: I'm not a functional consultant so maybe it is clear for other but I don't see any replies just yet so just trying to help you out here.

Kr

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply 🙂

I am new to Data Aging and am neither an FI guy. No one in my team has knowledge in data aging so, i had to take up this task to understand and config data aging.

As far as i experienced, from S4 hana archiving of Documents is replaced by Data aging. So i have configured data aging to move documents from current data to historic data.

So, i am not sure if i am mixing Archiving with data aging. But, in S4Hana, you cannot use standard archiving procedure.

I am attaching images and if you guys see anything suspicious, do correct me.

An overview on how partition looks like in object.

Data aging run

Job details.

Display of hot and cold data after data aging run

Regards

Shiva

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shiva

Data Aging doesn't replace Archiving. Archiving is still relevant and existing because it's a different thing in the end, archiving can be used to delete objects, data aging cannot, just to give one example. So both co-exist.

Not sure if you get the right result there, haven't played around with it yet but I do know there are plenty of SAP notes for corrections on data aging depending on the SAP HANA version you are working on so I would advice you to check for SAP notes that are relevant.

Best regards

Tom

KMS71
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you configured the residency times for finance documents? Setting up the Aging Framework is one activity, you also need to consider the application configuration related to Aging.

As mentioned by Tom, it is important to distinguish between Archiving (removal from DB) and Aging (memory displacement to disk)...if you have been specifically asked to Archive then you probably need to dig into a bit more detail around the requirements and make sure that the requestor understands the difference between Archiving and Aging.

There are changes around the Archiving Objects where they are replaced by Aging Objects (not for everything yet) as the approach is different in HANA and S4.

Cheers

Kris