cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you track material in SAP with different methods of transport?

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP Gurus,

I need help.  My current setup is material X with appropriate lead times.  However, these lead times were established well before myself and do not take the different modes of transportation in consideration.  I.E.  Our main method of shipping overseas is boat.  So my lead times for Material X is 28 days.  However material X may need to be air chartered for production support for better delivery timing which only takes on average 6 days (Through customs).  SAP cannot take both methods into consideration (That im aware of).  This greatly affects my purchasing/materials as the visibility of material is skewed by invalid lead times.

How can I setup my system to accommodate for Air,Sea, Train, and Truck shipments?  The only thing that I can think is creating a different material # master for each so if its traveling by train I can create Material XTRA and the Material XA for air.  However, everything on the backend would have to be maintained as well and my company will not buy in for that. What are youre thoughts on this?  There has to be a more efficient way than what we are currently doing and what I am thinking about doing.  Any Ideas would greatly be appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brett,

What i have understood is, your requirement is that the mode of transport ( Lead Time) will be substituted for a same material depending upon some business conditions.

So under what Business conditions you're deciding it whether to be Air/Ship thats the Key point. we need to decide and design the solution based on this Key point.

What planning methodology you're using ?? SNP Heuristics / Optimizer ??

If SNP Optimizer is being used then MOT is decided based on the priority, duration time, costs, and delay penalty costs for transportation AND ofcourse with respect to the demand situation.

Just my thoughts

Vinoth

claire_yang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In SCM system, we can define one transportation lane with different means. You can check this in tx /SAPAPO/TL1.

Regards,
Claire

kenneth_snyder
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes APO allows different Means of Transport.   The issue is that the selected MOT does NOT cif to ECC so you will not know if APO selected Air or Ground.

Is your issue for Sales Orders where you can have Routes with different durations or PO's?

I am not aware of how to have different dates for PO scheduling in ECC.