cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge Dimensions in Design Studio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Community,

Is there an option to merge Dimensions in Design Studio 1.6 with universe as a data source?

I basically have current year + previous year data in one data mart and older than previous year data in another data mart.

Two universes have been created to connect to respective data marts.

I want to merge the Year dimension so that i can use it as some kind of a filter in my Design Studio application.

I searched for this on SCN and came across only one thread This thread is supposedly old.

Also I see people have submitted ideas Merge datasets from different queries (Design Studio) : View Idea

Please let me know if there is any way to achieve this?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anish.

There is no way to merge dimensions with standard Design Studio.  You can consider the following two options:

1)  Create a new universe which merges the two existing data mart universes; or

2)  Apply the SCN SDK Community approach described in the blog

Regards,

Mustafa.

former_member4998
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

As above Mustafa mentioned, Design studio not support merged dimensions in current version.

If you have already created universe …then you can use another BO reporting tool (like WebI )

If you are going to create universe…then create multi-source universe using two data marts and then build your design studio report on top of multi-source universe.

Please see this tutorial on multi-source universes

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-22055

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know much about multi source universes. But I have a doubt on this. Please help me understand the below.

As, we cannot merge dimensions in design studio;

If I were to create a multi source universe and if I were to, for example, get Year from both the data marts. How would I still merge it at the Universe level? So that at the application level I would end up using only 1 dimension.

Regards,

Anish

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anish,

In brief, you need to create a universe which represents a UNION of the two data mart tables (and not a JOIN).  I assume the structure of both are the same in that they have matching fields (dimensions and measures), so the new universe will include a YEAR field which represents the year from both.

Since universe design is a completely separate topic to Design Studio, I would suggest the following:

1)  Request the creator of the two existing data mart universes to create a new universe which represents a UNION of the two data marts; OR

2)  Search and post in the Semantic Layer forum for universes involving UNION operations.  Here is one such post that may be helpful:

Regards,

Mustafa.