Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data replication to non-SAP systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

At my client we have the following scenario:

MDG as a data HUB on SQL (Finance data, Customer, Vendor and Materials will be governed in MDG)

Target ERP system ECC on HANA, being soon upgraded to S/4 HANA.

Various other legacy systems will also receive data from MDG.

I have a few questions regarding our scenario:

- Can I replicate data to S/4 HANA using IDOCs (as I normally would to ECC)?

- Can I use FILE method to replicate data to other non-SAP systems (all data domains)? If so, how can I find the file format being generated and can it be changed? If FILE is not an option, can I use BODS to generate files for replication?

- As expected due to the number of legacy systems, we will need to configure value mapping for all the converted data to revert back during replication. Do you recommend to use value mapping withing MDG? How much of an effort is it considering various legacy systems? Would BODS be a better option?

I know it's a lot of questions, so really appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Fernanda

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RiccardoBrogi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Fernanda,

Let me try to answer some of your questions:

- Can I replicate data to S/4 HANA using IDOCs (as I normally would to ECC)? In general yes

- Can I use FILE method to replicate data to other non-SAP systems (all data domains)? Yes, it's an option

- how can I find the file format being generated and can it be changed? When FILE replication is used, data are exported as XML IDocs files. The format depends on the IDoc Message type selected in the replication model. Of course you can create your own Z-message type, add custom segments, etc... based on your requirements

- can I use BODS to generate files for replication? In general yes. You can also take in consideration the use of an integration middleware (ex. SAP PI, TIBCO)

- Do you recommend to use value mapping withing MDG? Again, in general yes. It's a pretty solid framework that has been reused - for example - also in CFin. Have a look on the official doc here:

Value Mapping - SAP Master Data Governance - SAP Library

BR,

Riccardo

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

henk_verdaasdonk4
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Fernanda,

- Can I replicate data to S/4 HANA using IDOCs (as I normally would to ECC)?

You mentioned it will be upgraded system, so I assume on premise. Then it depends is it ECC with simple finance or a complete S/4 Hana solution (I'm lost with the exact naming of the last installation, after all the name changes).

If the ECC simple finance option you can still use Idoc's.
But for the complete S/4 Hana solution I'm not sure. Vendor and customers (XK01 and XD01) will no longer exist, it is all Business Partner. So in MDG you have to use services.

- Can I use FILE method to replicate data to other non-SAP systems (all data domains)?

Yes you can. It is a supported communication channel. But out of the box it is only available for finance objects.

So for other domains you would have to develop your own Outbound implementation (class). There is always the option to send an Idoc as file.

-As expected due to the number of legacy systems, we will need to configure value mapping for all the converted data to revert back during replication. Do you recommend to use value mapping withing MDG? How much of an effort is it considering various legacy systems? Would BODS be a better option?

Value mapping is a good option. However it takes some effort to maintain all the value mappings. It could also be that not for all fields you need SAP delivered value mapping logic and you have to add own logic. But overall value mapping work very well.
Value mapping in BODS will also take some effort. Developing the mapping definitions and maintaining the value mappings.

Using PI would be a more logic

Cheers,

Henk.