cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create folders for apps on mobile device

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I want to know if there is a way to create folders for apps on mobile devices (iOS and Android) ?

Such as, if administrator pushes an app it is installed in the correct folder on the device ?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member207653
Active Participant
0 Kudos

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/install-location.html

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/FileSystemProgrammin...

Please, have a look at the link above for Android and iOS app development.

If you use Mobile Secure or Afaria, you can push the app to the devices.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Mirco, i want to push apps from Mobile Secure / Afaria. I want to know if there is a way apps to be installed in the folder on the device ?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Muhammad Usman,

As Mirco suggested the above links, you can add the "installlocation" attribute in the manifest file for your applications and push those .apk or .ipa files through SAP Mobile Secure/Afaria.

Please give a try and do let us know the result.

Kind Regards,
Sushmitha

rakshit_doshi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Muhammad Usman,

There are two ways to do this via Afaria,

1. Afaria provides a portal package server which acts likes an appstore to host various applications under it. You can create multiple categories and assign the applications under that category. Every application uploaded to Afaria is recognized as an Application Policy. So for example if you have some applications for Sales department, some for Distribution, some for marketing etc, you can create these groups and then create an applicaiton policy, upload the binary (apk/ipa) and select the category under which this application should reside and publish the policy. Then you can bind this policy to relevant groups like Sales Group and then create an enrollment policy binding to the same group which will be unique. So when the user enrolls itself with their relevant codes, they will see policies assigned to them, so they will only see sales application etc.
  2. There is also something called as Afaria Session Manager, which allows you to write some scripts using predefined directives like create directory, move package etc. With this what you can do is create a script and make a directory on users phone and then move the package binary to his phone like /sdcard/Companyname/Application/abc.apk and then install the application from there using the same script. But this works only for Samsung and LG phones. Session manager policies wont work with iOS.

So the best approach will be to go with Option 1

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Rakshit Doshi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rakshit,

Thanks for the reply.

Your option - 1 is creating categories within Afaria client app on the device.

However, I believe question is whether we can create folders on the device to push certain apps but not in the afaria client app.

Moreover, your suggested approach is much more easier with SAP Mobile Secure Portal where we can create the "Categories" while creating application and can select the specific "Categories" before you publish this application to SAP Mobile Place.

In order to check all available features in SAP Mobile Secure, you can register the 30-day trial version Mobile Secure Services and enjoy the look and feel of the Cloud version:)

Kind Regards,
Sushmitha

rakshit_doshi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sushmita,

I understood the question but he wont be able to test session manager policies with which he can create categories within the user mobile using the cloud version but again its only supported on Samsung and LG phones. So based on what the requirement is, the call can be taken.

Thanks,

Rakshit Doshi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rakshit,

Thank you for the reply.

Your suggestion for creating categories will create the categories within the Afaria client app.

However, i want to create folders on the mobile device and push the applications to those folders.

As Mirco Simoni suggested in the links, we can modify the apps to be installed in the folders.

So, based on that enterprise apps can be pushed and installed in a specific folder. I will test this and confirm.

Thanks.

Usman

Answers (0)