Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird issue - Unable to edit Edit Query Spec/Initial View in client

vincentdechandon
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi guys.

Recently I've started working on a new BO Server freshly deployed on a VM in the Cloud. The BOE version is 4.1 SP7.

Design Studio Server 1.6 SP1 is deployed on it.

I've created some Excel datasets and plugged some universes on it.

There, the weird behaviour starts :

• Going through DS Client on my desktop, I'm able to see the Universe, but I'm unable to Edit the Query Specification (Failed to create CMS Session). When opening a document that already has defined datasources, I have this error : Cannot load InfoProvider "DSL/AZ2uU2q4oCxIoGJSdCEHY1c" (data provider "BCK_FILTER": No implementation service available)
  • Going through DS Client installed on the same VM than my BOE Server, I'm able to see the universes as well, but this time I'm able to Edit the Query Specification. But then when trying to edit the Initial View, I have this error : Cannot load InfoProvider "DSL/AZ2uU2q4oCxIoGJSdCEHY1c" (data provider "BCK_FILTER": Exception occurred during creation). Same error occurs when opening the document through the BI Platform.

THEN, if on the BOE Server I create a Webi document that uses the same datasources that in DS, everything is well initialized, and then if I go back to DS Client running on the VM and refresh the document, or refresh the document on the BI Platform, everything starts working fine.

Still, using my DS Client on my laptop won't work.

If I reboot the DS Service or the whole BOE, the errors start occurring again.

I've tried this : https://scn.sap.com/thread/3898878 but does not help.

I'm not an expert in CMC, do someone has some hints to resolve such issue?

Because it's painful to use remote DS Client on the VM and having to create a Webi document each time I want to work on the DS Dashboards.

Br,

Vincent

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Friends,

Even i am facing same issue,

Any Luck to anyone ..?

Amit

vincentdechandon
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Amit, unfortunately no one came up with a solution.

This is getting really annoying tho, because now some of our customers/prospects are experiencing the same issue.

One is even considering other vendors than SAP to replace DS. He is using Access database behind the Universes and experience the same issue.

Br,

Vincent

vincentdechandon
Contributor
0 Kudos

Any idea on this?

Else I'll start to get rid of Excel as back-end and switch to something like mySQL.

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is the Excel file accessible via same path outside of the VM on your laptop?

I'm wondering if the DS Client is trying to access the Excel file directly (kind of like a two-tier mode Webi behavior) versus pushing that to the server to access it (similar to a three-tier mode in Webi).

I'm totally guessing on that behavior though as I have limited experience with Excel-based universes because of other reasons.

vincentdechandon
Contributor
0 Kudos

I definitively think this is related to Excel is the back-end also. However, same behavior also happens with Access as back-end.

So maybe it's related to ODBC, this is the first time I've used it.

If I understood correctly your question, the Excel file is not accessible from outside the VM.

I though it would (and should?) not matter, DS hits the Universe and does not care about what's behind (or maybe I'm totally wrong).

Anyway, the fact the disturbs me the most is that using the dataset in Webi makes it work in DS, like if it was initializing something right that DS alone failed to do.

Br,

Vincent

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if the explanation in difference in behavior is because Design Studio (I suspect) employs DSLBridge to make the UNX data "OLAP-like"?  Not that this helps, if it's true.

vincentdechandon
Contributor
0 Kudos

I have to admit I'm not the best expert in pure BOE ecosystem, I had one of my colleague to take a look at what you said Mike. He does not think the issue is related to DSLBridge, but more indeed a problem coming from the handling of ODBC driver.

Problem is that I was planning to use access to easily create demo dataset but it seems like I can't.

Can guys like take a quick look at that?

That would be really helpful!

I can of course give more details, log file, etc.

Br,

Vincent