Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TREX doesn't index EXIF metadata

zbynek_kabrt3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

we have implemented SAP DMS with TREX server in version 7.10.40. Everythig works fine - PDF files and files of the other formats are indexed except of JPEG's EXIF metadata.

In documentation (File Formats Supported by TREX - Search - SAP Library) is mentioned that JPEG format included EXIF metadata is supported.

Do you have any idea where could be problem?

Btw. MIME type "image/jpeg" has been added info file TREXValidMimeTypes.ini.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Best Regards

Zbynek

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zbynek, first of all the JPEG files can be indexed in TREX. However as mentioned in the  documentation :"In most cases, only the graphic type and name of the file is displayed for graphic formats. Only maintained properties are indexed for some graphic formats. Text inside graphics cannot be indexed." It means for you , that you should be able to search for the document properties specified on the DMS side (f.e. author name , document name , e.t.c.) but not for the content inside of the document (f.e. if the JPEG is crated by the scanning a printed copy of document) . On the other side the document can be probably filtered on the DMS side and isn't sent to TREX for indexing at all. Best regards, Mikhail

zbynek_kabrt3
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Mikhail!

>>On the other side the document can be probably filtered on the DMS side and isn't sent to TREX for indexing at all.

This could be the problem. One more question... Do you know where specific file types can be filtered in DMS?

Thanks in advance!

BR

Zbynek

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zbynek, usually you need to setup the document types on the DMS side in SPRO Cross-Application Components -> Document Management ->Control Data ->  Define Document Types  . Only these documents should be sent to TREX for indexing. Best regards, Mikhail

zbynek_kabrt3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

for searching of documents we use transaction CV04N. When I enter jpeg-file name into field "File Name of Original" then I can find relevant document containing the searching original. Does it mean that the jpeg-file was successfully processed by TREX?

The jpeg-file contains some EXIF metadata. How can I use this metadata for searching? Is it possible to enter value an EXIF-tag into field "Srch Txt" of CV04N and expect the document will be found? In other words... Can I use EXIF metadata for fulltext searching or they can be used only for classification in taxonomy?

Thanks in advance for giving answers for my questions!

BR

Zbynek

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zbynek, the search for the name of docuemnt in CV04N doesn't use TREX  - it's done on the DB side  . The TREX is used for processing of search calls only if the full text search is executed . Unfortunately there is no way to search for the EXIF tags inside of the imnages (JPEG or TIFF) . These data formats are not supported with TREX. It means that the documents can be indexed , but without content  . So you can either find this by the name , or using the "*" full text search. Best regards, Mikhail

zbynek_kabrt3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Mikhail,

I understand that TREX cann't index JPEG's content but in documentation is mentioned JPEG format is supported including EXIF (File Formats Supported by TREX - Search - SAP Library). What does the EXIF support mean? How can we use indexed EXIF metadata?

Thanks in advance!

BR

Zbynek

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zbynek, I have created the note 2350775. Could you please apply this. Best regards, Mikhail

zbynek_kabrt3
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you very much Mikhail! That's exactly what we needed, our problem is resolved.

Best Regards

Zbynek

Answers (0)