cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rabax during sapgui logon - system refresh of a non-unicode system overwriting a unicode system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm currently doing a system refresh of a non-Unicode system to a Unicode system using a homogenous database-specific method (which is perform a DB backup on the non-Unicode system then restore it to the Unicode system - overwriting the DB of the Unicode system).

Our systems (both the non-Unicode and Unicode system) resides on z/Linux and DB2 database.

Let's call:

Unicode system - DND system

Non-Unicode system - XNX system

Other details:

XNX system is on SAP NW 740 (ERP6 EHP7) and Kernel 64-bit Non-Unicode patch 400.

I've performed the following after the DB restore was completed:

1. copied the Kernel files of XNX system to DND system including DB2 client (replaced the kernel files of DND system with that of the XNX system).

2. Updated the profiles of DND system reflecting the customized parameter of XNX system.

3. Compared the ENV variables of DND and XNX systems and all are virtually the same except for G_FILENAME_ENCODING (DND has a value of @locale, UTF-8, ISO-8859-1, CP1252 while XNX has @locale, UTF-8, ISO-8859-15, CP1252

After doing the above steps, DND system started. But when I tried to login to the system, I'm getting a "rabax during sapgui logon". I've viewed the developer trace files and there were errors:

1. Syntax Errors

--> example of syntax error is:

syntax error in program RADSHPBOPREFLIGHT

Field %_VIASELSCR is unknown. It is neither  in one of the specified table nor defined by a "DATA" statement.

--> note that we DID NOT perform any modifications on SAP standard objects in XNX system.

2. R/3 system not supported with kernel 721.

--> I've already tried updating the kernel files to a higher version (as per note 217070 - I tried versions 722, 722 EXT, 742, and 745) but it's giving me an error: Binary file not executable.

--> I also tried updating the Kernel files to a higher patch level (721 patch 700) but still getting the same error - rabax during sapgui logon. I also tried putting login/quiet_mode=1 as per note 1824283, but still encounters the same error.

Question: What other files do I need to update in order for SAP system to work?

Thanks.

Regards,

Kenneth

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kenneth,

a Unicode conversion of an ABAP system on DB level is not supported by SAP and actually does not work technically (as you realize now) ...

One reason for that (and not the only one) are e.g. cluster tables, which cannot be converted properly on DB level.

Hence the only way for a Unicode conversion is to make use of the standard procedure, which is documented in SAP note 1051576 .

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Just curious to know, why are you performing a system copy from a Non-Unicode system to a Unicode system?

>>R/3 system not supported with kernel 721

Why are you using 721 release kernel?

If the source system is ERP 6 EHP7 then the kernel should be the one that is supported for this release. You should use the same kernel set which the source system uses. All these manual work can be avoided if you do a system copy using sapinst.

Also check if the source system DB and OS are on the same release and version.

When you update the kernel make sure you delete all the kernel files from the previous release from the DIR_CT_RUN and DIR_EXECUTABLE locations. Your problem looks most likely due to the wrong kernel.