Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSecs to Wait Before Modification Check

helmut_skolaut3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am currently migrating all scenarios from PI 7.11 to 7.5. After a while of wondering why a file is not polled from the FTP folder for certain channels (no error messages on one channel, on the 2nd channel i have got Error "FILE NOT FOUND"), I have seen that both channels have the open "Msecs to Wait Before Modification Check" activated:

Then I have removed the value and switched off the "Advanced Mode". Then the files have been picked up. The values have been setup from the beginning in my old PI 7.11 system and we never recorded an issue on it.

My questions:

1) what is the exact behavior using this parameter

2) has someone else found out why it's not working on the new PI 7.5 (maybe some global setup is missing, or a bug in the adapter).

Thanks

Helmut

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

helmut_skolaut3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

first of all thanks very much for very quick responses. The Point 1) looks for me well answered, however the point 2) needs still some investigation.

Let me summarize:

- Same FTP Server, Same Credentials

- PID (on 7.11) it works fine

- PJD (on 7.5) it does not pick up files when option is enabled

I will let Java stack been restarted, maybe it's some wired circumstance.

Regards

Helmut

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Helmut,

I have been reading SAP suggestion in other note (230508 and the SAP solution is not to use the parameter ). However if in PI 7.11 the scenario works fine your should report it to SAP, it seems to be a bug because in an earlier PI version you have not this problem.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, Helmut

but are you sure that the destination FTP server supports the reporting about file size? Otherwise adapter will not be able to pick the file with activated "MSecs to Wait Before Modification Check" option. Please refer to SAP Note #2305086

Best regards,
Vadym

helmut_skolaut3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vadym,

thanks. My error message behavior of channel 1 is exactly like mentioned in Note 2305086 while channel 2 has File Content Conversion active.

So my assumption is that the feature has not worked in 7.11 either, however it has not thrown an error and polled the files.

I have opened a message with SAP already, but I assume they will give me note 2305086, in parallel I have asked the collegue who is running my FTP server to confirm about the "file size report" feature.

Thanks again to you and all others for good collaboration.

Regards

Helmut

Former Member
0 Kudos

Helmut, in second case it is also true, because according to SAP Note #2188990 - if FTP server doesn't support such report sending then it also cannot be used when File Content Conversion is used.

helmut_skolaut3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Just wondering why the Content Conversion Module is not working, maybe because the payload has been modified on the fly?

The other scenario is using the PayloadZipBean to unzip the payload, is this maybe the reason why it is also causing a problem?

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah Helmet..And FCC and Payload will come before normal module processing so cant wait for modification.

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi  Iñaki

I don't think this is a bug. AFAIK, this option is simply not logically applicable for FTP connections due to its dependency on FTP service providers.

I have always used this in NFS in Sender file adapter to ensure that a partial file is not picked up.

Hi Helmut,

I would simply suggest to ignore this setting in PI 7.5 and take it as lessons learnt.

I have seen multiple settings being applied in Production systems which are not used and can be done away with.

Hope it helps!

Ambrish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Helmut,
try to implement SAP Note #2328709.

Best regards!

helmut_skolaut3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Vadym,

it was solving the issue, the file was picked up successfully after I have implemented the fix from note 2328709.

Have a nice weekend,

Helmut

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member190293
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Helmut!

About behavior: if you're aware of source file is being modified while adapter polls it you can set this option. Thus, adapter polls file than waits for given interval and checks if source file was modified since original version has been polled. Is so, new version of source file is taken and processed.

Regards, Evgeniy.

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Helmut.

Msecs to Wait Before Modification Check

Enter the number of milliseconds that the adapter must wait before it checks whether the files have been changed.

This parameter is not available if you have selected File Content Conversion as the Message Protocol and then made an entry under Recordsets per Message to split an input file into several messages.

Configuring the Sender File Adapter - Advanced Adapter Engine - SAP Library

@Mark if am not wrong it works on FTP also but not with FCC.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu and Mark,

The Msecs to Wait Before Modifications flags depends of the FTP servers, not all the FTP servers reports the file size and this flag would be useless because it can't compare the size during the time pointed out. Check this note for more information: 2188990 - File Modification Check in FTP mode for File Adapter

Regards.

markangelo_dihiansan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Iñaki Vila,

Thank you for confirming that this setting is dependent on the FTP server

Regards,

Mark

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Excellent note! This definitely makes life easy for FTP ( provided ofcourse FTP Server supports it )

If only SAP also tells us how to confirm if the SFTP Server supports this!

helmut_skolaut3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

is there a way to check simply from a command line with the FTP server is the feature is provided?
The vendor of the FTP server said:

"Don't know what they re refering to. We support the "SIZE" command which is a FTP command".

Regards

Helmut

markangelo_dihiansan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Helmut,

The Msecs to wait is used to make the file adapter check if the file it is polling is still being written. However, it only works for NFS, it has no effect on FTP.

Regards,

Mark