cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transform WebDynpro on JAVA to Fiori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

what do you think in general, would it be advisable to redesign around 60 existing custom Webdynpro screens (mainly tables/ALV grids, with a lot of searching and filtering) and build Fiori apps instead?

I have the feeling that only chaning the UI to Fiori won't increase the User Expierence without making the screens more simple, but this would involve to create a huge amount of task based Fiori apps to cover all existing functionality of the custom Webdynpro screens.

Do you have any expierence on that kind of redesign projects?

Cheers,

Wladimir

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wladimir

Questions that I would have in your situation that will help in making a decisions are questions like these:

• Are these stable programs/apps that have a good user acceptance or are there planned changes (major/minor?)
  • Is there a need or benefit to use them on a mobile device (assuming that the WD does not support that today)
  • Are there some standard SAP fiori apps that cover the same need or additional apps that these users would benefit from
  • Do you have plans for upgrading to S4 Hana or are there other business units moving towards Fiori apps
  • Do you have available resources with the right skill set for development
  • Do you have the infrastructure for Fiori in place

Normally the priority for investment is based on return on investment and I would be surprised if a project of rebuilding these apps into new technology, with the same features and same device (PC) would be the project with the highest ROI.  What I would look and analyse is a subset of users that are perhaps only using a subset of the apps and focus on those.  Sometimes users dont know what they need but they do know what gives them problems in their day to day work so running workshops to discover that would be a good starting point regardless of whether you go further with the migration of the apps or not. 

What you describe as the scope of the apps sounds like something that an experienced Fiori developer could do rather quickly.  Viewing data is easy with Fiori, creating, changing etc. is where things get more complex and expensive.  Good luck..