cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for performance tuning

MichaelG258
Explorer
0 Kudos

Does anyone have any tips on performance tuning?

We have a few very long running custom programs which may in part be how they are written.  However, I want to make sure our profile parameters are set properly.  I have found Note 808607 corrected some issues with inconsistent settings for the rdisp/ROLL_SHM and rdisp/ROLL_MAX as well as rdisp/PG_SHM and  rdisp/PG_MAX.  

New Settings were:

rdisp/ROLL_SHM               196608

rdisp/ROLL_MAX               196608

rdisp/PG_SHM                   196608

rdisp/PG_MAX                   196608

I am concerned the em/initial_size_MB and em/blocksize_MB may be a bit small. 

Roll, extended and heap memory EXTM

ztta/roll_area                       100000000 Byte Roll area per workprocess (total)

ztta/roll_first                        1 Byte First amount of roll area used in a dialog WP

ztta/short_area                    3200000 Byte Short area per workprocess

rdisp/PG_LOCAL                150 8 kB Paging buffer per workprocess

em/initial_size_MB               8096 MB Initial size of extended memory

em/blocksize_KB                 4096 kB Size of one extended memory block

em/address_space_MB        4092 MB Address space reserved for ext. mem. (NT only)

ztta/roll_extension                2000000000 Byte Max. extended mem. per session (external mode)

abap/heap_area_dia            3000000000 Byte Max. heap memory for dialog workprocesses

abap/heap_area_nondia       3000000000 Byte Max. heap memory for non-dialog workprocesses

abap/heap_area_total           3000000000 Byte Max. usable heap memory

abap/heaplimit                     40000000 Byte Workprocess restart limit of heap memory

abap/use_paging                 0 Paging for flat tables used (1) or not (0)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael.

In addition that you have to enable the trace using the transaction code ST12 in QAS system check the overall performance in ABAP & DB usage with help of ABAPer / functional consultant.

BR

SS

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael,

to mention your used kernel-version and netweaver-Version (additional OS-Version) would be helpful,

you may have a look at database index-advisor entries - maybe creating some missing db-index would help

regards Christoph

volker_gldenpfennig
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry to tell you, that all of the memory parameters are NOT performance related, but functional-releated ;-((

So, if you would see dumps, some of the parameters could be increased and then the dump might disappear, but for performance, this is not a real option ...

But:

rdisp/ROLL_SHM               196608

rdisp/ROLL_MAX               196608

rdisp/PG_SHM                   196608

rdisp/PG_MAX                   196608

You you do this change without any problems (and definetely with no better performance), as they are creating FURTHER memory objects and are not using parts of em/initial_size_MB. So, it is safe to do this ...

I would suggest, that you start with investigation of the STAD records of these new reports. Then you see where the major part of the runtime is located. Based on the result, you have to search further in the ABAP or SQL area ...

Regards,

Volker Gueldenpfennig, consolut international ag