cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gateway Integration with HANA CDS Views

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I had a query regarding the Gateway Integration with CDS Views, Please help.

Scenario : We create a Gateway Service and we reference a CDS View into the Gateway Service. It automatically creates a SADL implementation using the SADL framework along with all the SADL Methods called inside GET_ENTITYSET/GET_ENTITY etc. of DPC_EXT class.

Now my question is when we reference the CDS View into a Gateway Project it doesn’t give me any option to use some RFC Destination CDS View. In other words, it only allows the CDS Views to be referenced inside the Gateway System if the Gateway plugins(before 7.5) are installed on the same system where HANA is the database.

Issue: In normal scenarios(where CDS Views are not used instead normal Database Tables are being used) we can reference it through RFCs/ BAPIs etc. but in this S/4 HANA integration with Gateway this feature is not provided and the SADL framework cannot be used in a different System.

Is this restriction provided deliberately? If yes , why? If not, is there any way we can reference the CDS View into a Different Gateway Server(For eg We can separately create SADL framework entities and create an RFC to use those methods and expose that RFc into some different system)?  Looking forward for your reply.

Thanks and Best Regards

Rajat Bector

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

volkerdrees
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Rajat,

I guess the SADL framework is available as of 7.40 where you also have SAP_GWFND as a default component. As such you should be able to develop your service locally where the CDS views reside (as close as possible to the data - which in general is a good practice).

Independent of this you can develop your own RFC function modules for your CRUD-Q operations in a remote system. But in this case you need to manually take care about the implementation.

Best Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess it was 7.5 when SAP_GWFND is added as a default component but anyways what I want to know is there any deliberate reason to keep both GWFND and HANA on the same systems?

For example let say I already have some existing Gateway Services in 7.3 or less system and now I get a requirement that I need to link one of the Gateway Entity with CDS View created in HANA system. These are two different systems. Now is there any way that I would be able to connect this CDS View to the Gateway System?

Thanks

Rajat Bector

volkerdrees
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Rajat,

SAP_GWFND exists as of NW 7.40.

You can develop your own RFC function modules that access the CDS view via the regular ABAP statements (e.g. SELECT). The Gateway framework helps you in doing that by providing e.g. the filter statement as a string that can be used in a dynamic where clause.

Another option in your example is to move the service implementation to the box where the CDS view resides and use an RFC to call the 7.3 system.

hth.

Best Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

Thanks for the information. I do understand that we can do a SELECT on CDS Views directly and use an RFC to give data to different System.

Sorry for not being so clear, actually I am sometimes lazy to code and since SADL provides all the coding once I integrate my CDS view with my Gateway Entity, so I was thinking that if there is already existing / is planned SADL tcode / framework which I could make use independently from the Gateway System.

In other words, I get a SADL transaction where I just link my CDS View and generate runtime classes which gives me all the methods and now I could use these methods in a RFC/ any other way to be used in different system.

Hope I clarify myself this time.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Rajat Bector

volkerdrees
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Rajat,

I'm not aware that this is available.

Best Regards,

Volker