cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Method for SAP ECC migration without system build

Former Member
0 Kudos

As part of Data center migration, SAP ECC, BW, CRM etc need to be migrated to new infrastructure present in new data center migration.

Traditional migration steps are-

1. Hardware provisioning

2. OS build

3. Oracle clusterware build

4. SAP installation

5. DB refresh/migration

I want to optimize step 4 and 5 with some method like- storage replication (SRDF) so that I don't have to do SAP installation and DB refresh/migration for so many times (considering 3 landscape). Please note that this is like for like migration with no changes.

I have 2 questions on this-

1. Can SAP systems be migrated using storage replication method? If yes, what are the pros and cons of this approach?

2. What are the limitations of this method?

Thanks,

Abhi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhinvesh,

1. Can SAP systems be migrated using storage replication method? If yes, what are the pros and cons of this approach?

Yes, Storage replication is an option to do such SAP migrations but with almost no control from SAP/BASIS point of view. It's a BASIS independent activity where storage/network team to work and complete the replication. Once everything is migrated then you will just support the cutover in terms of starting up SAP instance, post migration checks etc.

2. What are the limitations of this method?

If it is an As-Is migration then absolutely there is no limitation.

Regards,

Nick Loy

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Brindavan_M
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

If you use storage replication (SRDF) method then there will be lot of manual effect. Why cant use SAP SWPM the easiest way if the data center have inside the same network or can can established for temporary until you perform the activity. Note if you change the hardware and datac entre you need to inform SAP about the hardware changes.

Thanks,

BM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nick. It helps. Do you have any pointers to get more details on this method?

Hi BM,

Due to downtime restriction, I am looking for method that works in minimal downtime (say few hours for 5 TB database). As per my understanding SWPM method will take very long downtime.

Thanks,

Abhi