Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background job took more time

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Guru's/Experts,

A background job has taken more time than expected and not involved with any custom programs.. Please find below the noted details about it from ST03N....Can you please help me to identify where it took more time and root cause,,solution to resolve ...I need your expertise to find the exact issue..  I will appreciate all your help and inputs to make me clear.

Report or Transaction nameName of Background JobNumber of Dialog StepsTotal Response Time (s)Average response Time/Dialog Step (ms)Total Processing Time (s)Avg. Processing TimeTotal CPU Time (s)Average CPU Time (ms)Total Database Time (s)Ø DB Time (ms)Ø Time/DB Procedure Call (ms)Total Roll Wait Time (s)Ø Roll Wait TimeTotal Wait Time (s)Average Wait Time per Dialog Step (ms)Number of Sequential ReadsTotal Sequential Read Time (s)Average Sequential Read Time (ms)Number of Direct ReadsTotal Time for Direct Reads (s)Average Time for Direct Reads (ms)Number of Logical Database ChangesTotal Time for Logical DB Changes (s)Average Time for Logical DB Changes (ms)Number of Logical Database CallsAverage Time per Log. Database Call (ms)No.  of Physical Database Read AccessesNumber of Modified Database Records# Records Read from Single Record BufferNumber of Database Procedure CallsT Time for DB Procedure Accesses (s)Average Time per DB Procedure Call (ms)% CPU Time% Processing Time% Database Time% DB Proc. Time% roll wait time% Wait Time% GUI TimeTotal Frontend Network Time (s)Total GUI Time (s)Number of RoundtripsAverage Frontend Network Time (ms)Average GUI Time per Dialog Step (ms)Average GUI Time per Roundtrip (ms)Requested Data (KB)Avg. Data Volume to App. Server (Byte)Average Data Volume to Front End (Byte)Short textNumber of VMC CallsTotal VMC CPU Time (s)Totla VMC Elapsed Time (s)Average VMC CPU Time (ms)Average VMC Elapsed Time (ms)
ProgramBACKGRND JOB NAME138163815645.035883588000.07777330.0227227353.00.000.000.01917681260.7381281990.330226.35733510.44970933022777400.00.02.094.06.00.00.00.00.00000.00.00.02185480.00.0Activate or Deactivate Integration Model (Possible In Backgr0000.00.0

Memory usage statistics of the background job

Report or Transaction nameName of Background JobNumber of Dialog StepsAverage Total Memory Usage (KB)Average Usage of Extended Memory (KB)Maximum Usage of Extended Memory (KB)Number of Work Process ReservationsAverage Private Memory Usage (KB)Number of Work Process Restarts
ProgramBACKGRND JOB NAME17052891555014601

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

magexposito
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

As I can see in the statistics you provided in your first message the Average Processing Time is quite high, actually is almost 94% of the total time for this job. The Processing Time is the Response Time less some other times such as DB Time, Roll Time, etc. A high Processing Time could be related with a CPU bottleneck but it is not always the cause of it.

In your case what I will do will be the following:

- Execute the job.

- Check the operating system during the job execution: CPU usage, RAM usage, Network usage, Disk usage etc.

- Check the process on the SM50 transaction to check what is doing during the execution time.

- Check if this job communicates with any other SAP system or element via RFC. Sometimes a high Processing Time could be caused by a bad communication via RFC (for example an ERP system with a SRM system when using MM transactions).

- Do a performance trace using transaction ST12. This could be an interesting idea since you will get all the steps the job does and the duration.

The Database Time is not so high but anyway it could be a good idea to check the index for the tables that the job uses.

Best regards.

Miguel Angel González

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

The work process was going to ABAP wait in ECC system and processing SMQ2 queues( gradually entries increased) on the connected SCM system..once the queues entries are fully processed ..then the job is finished on the ECC system.. this is the delay causing for long duration for job completion.

When I see ABAP wait .,how can I analyse further and check what it does...whare is the delay happening .

Will appreciate your help and inputs...

Thanks in advance

manojsomkuwar
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

I know it has been too long, but did you manage to find an answer for "ABAP WAIT"?

Regards,

Manoj Somkuwar

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

I notice the taken response time is very high (3815.645 second) for reported background.

what to know the reason and let me know if any other findings from you.

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance

former_member185488
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

It is difficult to comment with only response time. May be the same job could have taken less time in previous days.

If response time is higher means then we need to check whether any active process is there or not.

Regards,

Jegan Raj

former_member185488
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

Please check the Background job logs first for ther latest update and also check any BG work process is running for this.

Check the steps and logs of the same job for the previous dates in order to identify what exactly it is performing daily.

Also check the trace of the BG work processor in SM50 to know more details.

Regards,

Jegan Raj

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

Please provide your analysis based on provided data and memory information details.

Thanks in advance