Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

configure snapshot in SAP maxdb 7.9

venkatesh_m10
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello all ,

i am looking for a command to configure snapshots at the DB level in SAP maxdb 7.9.

i found the below commands for 7.7 version.

operational state : ONLINE

dbmcli -d <database_name> -u <dbm_operator>,<dbm_password> db_execute create snapshot ['<comment>'] [timeout <value>]

operational state : ADMIN

dbmcli -d <database_name> -u <dbm_operator>,<dbm_password> db_execute create snapshot

will the same command work for SAP maxdb version 7.9 as well ?

where will the snapshots be stored?

please help us on this topic.

Regards,

Venkatesh M

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkatesh,

The snapshot will be stored in database, which is the reason why the snapshot cannot be used as normal backup.

For your concern, I would suggest you to use database studio to do the snapshot admin. You can follow up SAP note 1464618 to download database studio.

Then you can find the administration task for snapshot from database studio. All you need is there.

By the way training SAP MaxDB: The SAP Database - Training session 11, will help as well.

Best regards,
James

venkatesh_m10
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello James,

we are trying to take snapshot of a multi-tenant system.

my question is where will these snapshots be saved after running the below command ?

---

dbmcli on XXXX>db_execute create snapshot

OK

----

we are looking for a path to the snapshot, so that we can backup this file using an external tool.

Regards,

Venkatesh M

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkatesh,

Yes, the snapshot command is correct. As mentioned, the snapshot is stored in the same database, which means you cannot specify any backup file. To accomplish this, you need to do backup instead of snapshot, then you can define a backup file.

Best regards,
James

venkatesh_m10
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello James,

Multi-tenant system does not support a normal backup as defined in the documents. that is the info that we have got. hence we are looking for a snapshot

so we are looking for a command that sends a database to the SAPDB to go to the snapshot mode. During this mode, the database files will be consistent and we can just save the files using a save command. After the return code of the save command is 0 (or successful) we again ask the database to come out of the snapshot mode .

if the normal backup procedures are possible in this methodology , can you please provide the document for the same. will be more helpful

does the backup method you suggested from SAP MaxDB: The SAP Database - Training session 11 is supported by a SAP maxdb with mutliple tenants?

Regards,

Venkat

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

Sorry, it is my first time to hear multiple tenants.  Can you share more information about "multiple tenants"?  I cannot believe "multiple tenants" does not support normal backup.

In the meanwhile, let us see whether someone has this experience.

Best regards,
James

venkatesh_m10
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello James,

i have got some info here.

we need to perform the below steps for this.

1. create a external medium

2. dbmcli -U c -UUTL c backup_start <external medium>

3. dbmcli -U c -UUTL c backup_finish <external medium> ExternalBackupID <id>

however the 3rd commad throws the below error .

ERR

-24984,ERR_MENOVALID: Invalid medium definition

Regards,

Venkatesh M

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkatesh ,

This means the backup template is invalid.

You can list the backup template via following command:

dbmcli> backup_template_show ALL

As mentioned you can use database studio to do backup as well.

Best regards,
James

Answers (0)