cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to connect Sybase IQ with DB visualizer

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are having DB visualizer to create /execute proc and sql for ASE . 

Can we connect to IQ server using db visualizer .

I can see option for Sybase IQ  in DB Visualizer  . as Database Type =Sybase IQ

Which Driver JDBC  should be used  . It has Sybase SQLAnywhere   . but seems it is not loaded . Apprciate if you could let us know driver need to download ...

Second Option : IQ COCKPIT

But do not see any query editor in Cockpit ..  ( Eplore --> IQ Server --> Right panel - drop down execute sql ) -- Not very good query tool .

We are in process of migratingASE store procs into IQ . So need some Sybase IQ tool to write sql/proc etc .

IQ Version 16 sp11 -- have cockpit only ( No sybase central ) .

Appreciate your help .

Regards

Ajay Pandey

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member194571
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi AJay,

I've used DB Visualizer in a customer environment together with SQL Anywhere in the past, so I'm quite sure it works. It was required to register the JDBC driver class / jar in the properties of the connection type or class (what you referred to as "Database Type"). This is because DBVisualizer supports these RDBMSs but does not include the driver.

A Query Editor also is included in Interactive SQL (dbisql) in the "Tools" menu (item "Edit Query", shortcut Ctrl-Q) but you may prefer to continue to use one you're familiar with.

I don't know of any tool to migrate ASE stored procedures to IQ, mostly because it's hardly necessary. IQ (and SQL Anywhere) support SPs in both Watcom SQL dialect (which you can consider Anywhere / IQ native) and Transact SQL dialect (which is the only dialect ASE supports). So running your create procedure statements against IQ unchanged should be a decent approach to start with.

The traps are slightly different or rather somewhere else. IQ by default behaves different when connected using an OpenClient (or TDS) client rather than a native IQ / Anywhere client. With an OC / TDS client, IQ behaves more similar to ASE than with an ODBC client or dbisql. Same with jConnect (ASE behavior) vs. the iAnywhere JDBC driver (native behavior).

One important difference: with ASE style behavior, table column definitions, also for temp tables inside procedures, don't allow NULL values unless explicitly specified by using the NULL directive. With IQ style behavior, it's compatible to the SQL standard and most other implementations, Columns do allow NULL values unless explicitly declared using the NOT NULL directive. The short message is: don't rely on defaults, specify everything explicitly, which will keep you away from a lot of trouble.

HTH for a start...

Cheers

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Volker .

Regards

Ajay Pandey