cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMP 3.0 startup writes files to "work" folder

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Community,

We have noticed some undesired behaviour on the SMP 3.0 server where we have multiple Agentry apps deployed.

Every time the SMP server is started it writes a number of files (mostly noticed are .dll and .jar files) into sub-folders of the folder ..\SAP\MobilePlatform3\Server\work, and it does this every time for all deployed Agentry apps.

In this particular case this has built up to almost 30GB of diskspace on the Development server, and only became apparent when the upgrade from SP05 to SP10 failed as it ran out of disk space.

We resorted to deleting all these files and sub-folders for all Agentry apps that are deployed or were deployed at any point in time. However, the upgrade forced SMP to restart twice, so already again a number of files have been written into this folder.

1. What is the purpose of copying these files to this "work" folder on every startup?

2. How can we prevent this going forward?

Best regards,
Edwin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Edwin,

The work folders for the agentry applications appear to be java / dll cached files used during server runtime.  You can delete the folders (with the server not running) and it will recreate them as needed during startup.

In my servers I have not seen them grow to anywhere near the size your mention.

Cleaning them up is one of my troubleshooting steps when I have an problem with an Agentry app starting up.  You cannot prevent them from being created as they are needed by the SMP server during runtime.

--Bill

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Edwin,

Hi. Thanks for pointing out. We may need to ping a few people on that part of the design to make sure we can give you a good answer. One person we know is on vacation so I may need to check on backups.

If we were successful to get a hold of the team member who knows this most, we hope they respond.

Regards,

SAP Mobile Support Team

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Edwin,

In addition to the data presented by people here, please read this SAP Note on some suggestion on development application used in the SMP 3.0 cockpit.

Please reference: SAP Note # 2308315 - SMP Server has issues restarting following deployment or publishing of development definition through cockpit.

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2308315

Regards,

SAP Mobile Support Team

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Edwin,

As part of the discussion internally, we think your issue above can be made into an official logged request to do some clean up during start up (This is currently going to be handled by SAP). Thanks for pointing this out.

In essence the logging:

~~~~Start~~~

Server\Work
|___com.XXXX
    |___AAAAAA
       |__JAVA

~~~End~~~~~

was taken because the jar files and dlls are locked when used with SMP 3.0. If the platform uses this files in the app config directory directly, then the system will overwrite them as a result of a publish, the system will get errors. So instead of loading them directly from the app config directory, the platform copy them to a temporary location and load them from there.

These Java files and dlls are handled specially by the system (Errors or writing of errors are handled in a different way).  Most of these files are deleted during shut down of the server.

So the theory for this future change (TBD) is these types of files can also be cleaned on startup.  This will be logged by SAP dev team to be scheduled (date and time not available yet).

Thanks for pointing this out.

Best Regards,

Mark Pe
SAP Platinum Support Engineer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Mark, we look forward to this change, please advise once a date and/or SP is known.

In the meantime we will add the deletion of these files and folders in the SMP startup script.

KInd regards,

Edwin

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Edwin,

I will try to update this thread once I learn more.

Best Regards,

Mark Pe
SAP Platinum Support Engineer