Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S/4 HANA On-premise DB tables Vs CDS Views

babu_kilari4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I just got access to S/4 HANA On-premise edition and when I logged into the SAP Instance part of it, I see the tables via SE11 and all of them have been marked as Column Store oriented. I just wonder if these tables would also be stored as part of CDS Views ?  I was assuming all the DB tables are not stored in CDS views ? Am I missing something here ?

Appreciate your input / clarification regarding this topic.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Babu Kilari

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Babu,

CDS view is same like view and we cannot save data in CDS view.

In S/4 HANA 1511 data saved in Column store oriented and that is  new concept of S/4 HANA.

Thanks & Regards,

Nikunj Patel.

babu_kilari4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Nikunj,

Thanks. Let me ask the question differently. Can I be able to navigate and display the data od the basic tables say VBAK in HANA Studio ? If yes - would they be stored as .HDBTABLE ? or would they have some reference in CDS Views in terms of structure definition ? Why do we still need SE11 if we have CDS views ?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Babu Kilari

sreenadh_mv
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Babu,

This is as per the "SAP HANA core data services" document:

"Core Data Services (CDS) is an infrastructure that can be used by database developers to create the underlying (persistent) data model which the application services expose to UI clients."

link to document

Yes, we can view the basic tables(VBAK) in the HANA studio.

Not sure if it would be stored in ".HDBTABLE" because even the elements created using the CDS should end up in the HANA catalog(I assume). I have not used CDS views myself hence cannot comment more. Lets see what the other experts opine on this. 🙂

Thank you

/sree.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Babu.

The CDS view, when activated, generates a view in SE11.

In HANA studio you can use this same CDS view in your model: it will leverage the data from the tables your view is based on.

The CDS view will also propagates the ABAP Data types from the SE11 view to keep the semantics consistent in your report level. That's why we still need SE11.

Regards,

Sebastien

babu_kilari4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Excellent. Answers my question(s). Appreciated !!

Cheers

Babu Kilari

Answers (0)