cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update App automatically via Afaria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We've developed a native android app and deploy and install it via Afaria.

With each new release/updated version of the app our users need to tap refresh on the Afaria client and then click update to get the new build.

Is there an automatic way of installing any new release of our app without the user having to tap on update in the client?

Regards

Riaz

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Riaz,

If you would like to update the enterprise app you can browse the updated apk file to the same enterprise application policy and make the install option as "Required". This makes Afaria get the update installed on all the devices without user intervention.

Take a look at this picture for better understanding:

Kind Regards,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sushmitha

I have that tick box checked.

Does the automatic update of the app depend on the schedule you set in a configuration policy?

Regards

Riaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Riaz,

Yes, if you have a config policy with the schedule pushed to the android devices, the afaria client will get connected with the server during those schedules run.

Can you disable schedule on any device and try pushing the updated app version application policy with required installation and see if the device is getting the app update automatically.

Kind Regards,
Sushmitha

former_member197903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Riaz,

When you browse the .apk file on existing created policy as set as 'Required' and click on SAVE.

Once you push the policy to the device, end user would get prompt to update the APP, or you can wait for next policy push scheduled time.

You can try this option too, create the same application with one more new policy as OPTIONAL and save it. End user can see this app on Afaria ENT Client and check, for me it worked.

For this option you will see few errors in admin console, like IPH6021, IPH3011n but no impact on devices.

Regards,

VP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sushmitha

Unfortunately the client has restricted us from using any push services like GCM so we cant push down application policies to devices but have to use the schedule method.

I would just like to confirm what you are saying - If i upload a new version of my APK to the application policy and was able to use push services the app would automatically update to the later version on the device? Is this correct?

Regards

Riaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Riaz,

Yes, the app gets updated with the latest version on the device automatically when you make the install option as "Required" on the same application policy.

If the install is made "optional" then the update goes to this app shown in the afaria client on the device and once you open the afaria client, the particular app will prompt you to "update" the app.

Kind Regards,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Sushmitha, we will use this approach

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member197903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Riaz,

What is your Afaria Version?

Did they get prompt to update when you send policy to the device? or they get prompt when they open the Native Android application on device?

What is the Last Connection of the device?

Regards,

VP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi VP

We are on Afaria 7 SP 10.

There is no prompt. Should there be a prompt?

Last connection is when the daily policy schedule runs, which is once a day.

Regards

Riaz