cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in SE38

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When trying to run a Z* report in se38, we are getting an error " Unable to Retrieve Directory", I had the developer check the report for any authorization checks within the report but it turned out to be negative. Kindly anyone what could be the issue. The user has full se38 authorization.

Regards

Moid

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the Z Report trying to do . Is it trying to access any OS level directory . If yes please verify if there are proper permissions to that folder

Also you can put a break point or you can ask ABAPer to run the program in debug mode. By this you can find exactly which line is giving error and rectify it

Regards,

Murali

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

As suggested I have run the report with my user id with full basis authorization and it worked perfectly fine, but also checked the other user's SU53 and I am finding missing authorization objects. Now the Question is whether the missing Authorization Objects are for SE38(which I doubt as it is a Fully maintained) if its for the report ....then kindly what should be the approach?

0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed,

Your missing authorization could be for SE38 but I would rather look at your Z* program. Judging from your error of "Unable to retrieve Directory" I would assume you are probably interacting with the Operating System. The chances that your ABAP developer coded all this from scratch would be slim so they are probably calling a SAP standard function module. The failing authorization would be coming from that. If this assumption is correct I would assume that you are failing on the authorization object S_DATASET which is used to control access to operating system files. Basis authorizations would normally include this object which would explain why your user could run it but others could not. 

Try logging in with your user with full Basis Authorization and doing an authorization trace via transaction ST01. Tick the box for "Authorization Trace" and then select "General Filters". Add your username to the "Trace for user only" field and continue. Now select the Trace on button. 

Execute SE38 and run your Z* report again. When done go back to transaction ST01 and select the "Trace Off" button. Select "Analysis" and execute. 

This will give you a list of all the authorization objects and fields checked during the program execution. 

You can debug as well but with the newer NetWeaver releases they added the function to pull your trace results directly into a role in PFCG so ST01 is a bit more efficient to use than debugging.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Kindly perform Authorization trace for the affected user and check the trace.

A SU53 screen could aslo help here, contact your Security with all the details.

Regards

Prithviraj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jean & Everyone, for all your Inputs......the issue was resolved by debugging the z* program which the tester was calling using SE38. We found a authorization check has been enabled in the code....but further issue encountered was that the authorization object was not listed in our QA environment and I have to bring it from DEV by attaching to a Z_role with SE38 Authorization.

Regards

Moid

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Moid.

You can check the report either by enabling the ST12 trace or debug mode.

BR

SS

Johan_sapbasis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Also look at trying this report on different user GUI's.

Johan

Johan_sapbasis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

View the program code in se38 and relevant FM's in sm37 look for any hardcoded locations if any are find check these in al11 and sm69 if this location is accessible.

Kind Regards,