cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relationship between the kernel and Netweaver?

oppenheim_jm
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi there

Could somebody explain the difference between the kernel and Netweaver?

I used to believe these were the same thing but I see the versions of the kernel and Netweaver can be upgraded separately and there are restrictions between the versions.

I am asking in the context of, say for example, ECC 6.0 ERP. What is the relationship between, for example, SAP Netweaver 7.5 and SAP Kernel 7.45?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Joe,

It is important to understand that the versioning of the components, SW parts and products does not necesserily correspond or relate to each other.

The SAP kernel is the central core of an SAP system. However NetWeaver Application Server is product.

We should rely on the PAM matrix for details about what is compatible with what. I.e: which version of ECC is compatible with which NW AS, and which NW AS is compatible with which SAP kernel version.

Best Regards,

Peter

oppenheim_jm
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Peter,

That makes sense!

The confusion set in with the version: Netweaver 7.40 on the Kernel 7.42...and yet the version numbers are not actually related.

Would it be too simple to say the Netweaver platform is built using ABAP code, the kernel executes the ABAP code?

Regards

Joe

oppenheim_jm
Participant
0 Kudos

Checking the PAM, I found this very interesting (regarding Windows Server and MaxDB):

- NetWeaver 7.50 runs off Kernel 7.45 and is ONLY supported on Windows 2012, not 2008.

- NetWeaver 7.45 can run of Kernel 7.45 and is supported on Windows 2008

I would expect the Kernel to be more OS-specific, and NetWeaver to be Kernel specific.

But, I will put it down to SAP not wanting to support NetWeaver 7.50 on 2008 rather than a technical issue.

Thanks again Peter

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Joe,

NW platform is built using many languages (Java, C, etc), so we cannot make that analogy you mentioned.

The thing to memorize is that the versioning and numbering do not correlate to each other.

For example, Solution Manager 7.1 runs on NetWeaver 7.02. But we can mention the kernel numbering as well, it is similar "logic".

The most important takeaway is the PAM matrix. Everything is supported the way it is described there.

Best Regards,

Peter Tari

alexander_bolloni
Contributor
0 Kudos

Joe,

speaking of "NetWeaver", people sometimes tend to mean different things. NW started out (and I believe still is) as a conglomerate of several software components, the most widely known of which is the ABAP server (called Web Application Server ABAP in the days of mysap.com). Of course, there is also a Java Appserver...

The kernel has its own release numbering, which is similar but not identical with the release versioning of the (NW) ABAP layer which sits on top of it.

And there is the principle of a "downward compatible kernel" (DCK), which makes things more complicated. Newer kernel versions of major codelines can replace older kernels of the same major kernel codeline.

Please check SAP note 1969546.

Regards,

Alex

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183707
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

Kindly go through note(1553300). It will useful for you for understanding which kernel supports which net viewer and how it differentiate with release.

I truly agree with Peter as he mentioned.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-53415

Br, Nilesh