cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling M:N relationships

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello fellow SAPers. I have come to you guys for your advice regarding the how you should approach modeling, the best practices and a question on how to model specific M:N relationships and if its correct/valid.

First point it's to understand how to create a correct model for an application. People say that the model should be done in basis of a relational Database, other say that the correct approach is application/view based and lastly that it should be the same model the backend system uses.

In my opinion the model should be made based on the application needs, however it's correct to assume it should be scalable and capable to grow with the client requirement? On the same note, what are the best practices when modeling or guidelines to implement a correct model for an application.

Lastly, what's the correct way to implement a M:N relationship. I have the following:

A client can be part of multiple "groups" at the same time and up to 5. A group can conformed by 1 to n clients. The main issue here is how or what's the correct approach to model such relationship, thinking that it should work for offline scenarios using Kapsel and Pouch.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

AshwinDutt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Emmanuel,

The best approach is to model the service based on the UI application and how data flows when user navigates between the screens.

Cardinality will be defined between the entities on case to case basis based on the functionality.

For the example shared by you i.e., Groups and Clients ( M to N ).. this can be modeled and is possible.

Regards,

Ashwin

Answers (0)