cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dot net webservice vs ABAP webservice

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We do not have XI and there is no way to develop webservices using outside in approach. ( Even if we modify the WSD to match the Service name has to start with Z ). No WS versioning possible as at any point in time only one version of Function module can be active .( As there is no possiblity to create webservice in ABAP . ) Considering all these restrictions we are deciding to use dotent webservices. Dot net connector connects to SAP and generates Proxy classes. And then webservices will be created in dotnet environment for those proxy classes. Is that correct approach? Any thoughts? Pros and cons ?

Appreciate your thoughts on this..

Thanks,

Abdul Raheem S

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

if you follow a general platform independent service repository strategy (i.e. creating a central repository of webservices governing services from several platforms) it might make sense to use .NET or some other central platform.

If you've got WS ABAP webservices only, I'd rethink the strict adherence to the outside in approach. You certainly could design your service interfaces elswhere and try to match that design with an WS ABAP inside-out approach by designing the FM interface accordingly and use the configuration options of the WS framework (e.g. name mapping).

For different webservice versions you don't need different function module versions; you can create different WS configurations (as of NW2004s) for one FM.

If you later have to consolidate services from different platforms, you could still use those existing ABAP WS'es and call it from 'proxy' services elsewhere.

One pro of your approach would be, that no foreign system is accessing your WS ABAP directly. This is of advantage or even mandatory in certain architectures.

my 2 cents,

anton

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anton,

Thanks for your reply.

We tried matching as you mentioned. But in SAP service name has to start with Z. So, I couldn't find a way to create a webservice without Z.

Webservice versioning is useful when we have more than one behaviour for the same method. For example in OO langauages like Java, C# we can utilise overloading and overriding etc so that versioning makes sense.

But there is no possibility to expose ABAP class as WS.

Thanks,

Abdul Raheem S