Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Msecs to wait before modification check

former_member387652
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are working on PI 7.31 SP11 and the scenario is NFS to FTP where sender is ECC system &  this is bank interface where the file will be placed on a shared folder & PI has to pick it up using NFS and encrypt it and forward to the folder but the problem here ABAPers are generating the file & before even ABAP system completes the file generation PI system is picking up the incomplete file. Say ECC system generates 600 records and places it on NFS folder ideally PI should pick up the complete file with 600 records but the problem here is it is picking up only 10 records[incomplete] file and processing it. Please explain "Msecs to wait before modification check parameter" & also suggest me on how to calculate the value of "Msecs to wait before modification check parameter" & polling interval value in sender NFS channel.

Thanks,

Nithin.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

xavisanse
Active Participant
0 Kudos

ECC can generate a temporal filemask and when finish rename all files. All files will be renamed in a short period.

After that you can get all files with the correct filemask and (to be more sure) specify a modification check of 5 seconds or something like that.

Cheers

former_member387652
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Xavier,

Thank you for swift reply,can ABAP team do this temporary filename masking? If so what should I ask them to do ?

Thanks,

Naveen.

xavisanse
Active Participant
0 Kudos

They can, and must know how to do that. After, they can create a rutine in tx SM69 to rename files (in this tx they can define rutines to call OS instructions).

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Naveen,

The Channel will wait for the time mentioned then it will poll the file,Check the below SAP comment and document.

Msecs to Wait Before Modification Check

Enter the number of milliseconds that the adapter must wait before it checks whether the files have been changed.

This parameter is not available if you have selected File Content Conversion as the Message Protocol and then made an entry under Recordsets per Message to split an input file into several messages.

Configuring the Sender File Adapter - Advanced Adapter Engine - SAP Library

former_member387652
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

Thanks for reply, My scenario is pass through & I mean no transformation here.So how should I conclude the value of polling interval & Msec to wait before modification check ? Please suggest me the values that should be configured & based on what you conclude it. I mean should this Msec to wait parameter value should be greater or less than polling interval value?

Thanks,

Naveen.

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Naveen,

Yes,you can configure ,The parameter will hold the file to be processed at PI Level.

former_member182412
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

Are you using FTP or NFS to connect to ECC?? Msec to wait before modification check parameter only available for NFS below PI 7.31 SP18, this parameter also available for FTP from PI 7.31 SP18.Check this sap note for more details 2188990 - File Modification Check in FTP mode for File Adapter

If your system is below 7.31 SP18 then if you are connecting to ECC via FTP then work around is write temporary file first then rename it to original file extension as mentioned by Xavier. Check question 3 in this note 821267 - FAQ: XI 3.0 / PI 7.0 / PI 7.1 / PI 7.3 File Adapter

Regards,

Praveen.

former_member387652
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Thank you for reply. We are using NFS to connect to ECC so even though ABAPer cannot do the temporal filename mask as suggested by Xavier then "Msecs to wait before modification check" parameter alone should solve my issue right? Because I am not sure whether ABAper in our team is capable of doing that.

Thanks,

Nithin.

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Msecs alone will help you provided you have the option in the channel.

former_member387652
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

Thanks for reply! Yes,we do have the parameter enabled in channel. My next question what should be the value that I should choose for "Msecs to wait before modification check polling interval value in the sender NFS channel. Is any dependency between polling interval & Msecs parameter in such a way that it should be greater or less than that of polling interval?

Thanks,

Naveen.

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Naveen,

I will tell you an example where we used Msecs paramter.

Polling Interval- 3 mins

Msecs to Wait-2000 which is around 0.033 mins.

So channel will poll every 3 mins and wait for any changes in the file for 0.033 mins.

Based on your requirment configure accordingly.

former_member387652
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

Let me try out that option,and get back to you!

-Naveen.

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sure Naveen and please close the thread if your query is addressed.

former_member387652
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

I have given value as 5000 for Msecs which means to wait and didn't see anywhere in the channel logs. I placed a file in NFS manually and opened it and started editing the file manually like adding some more records, but the incomplete file got picked up & after I completed adding the records I saved it so it created two files,one incomplete & one complete. How to conclude that this Msecs is working or not? Shall I increase the Msces to wait value to some thing like 30000 & then check?

Thanks,

Naveen.

former_member190293
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen!

5000 Msec is 5 sec. You didn't finish editing the file in 5 sec., that's for sure.

So you should either increase this parameter, for example, to 30000 (30 sec.) or use additional file as marker for file write operation end.

Regards, Evgeniy.

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes Naveen,As Evg Suggested Increase it.The msecs seems to be very small.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

The 'Msecs to wait before modification check' parameter should be greater than the maximum time  that it would take for the ABAP program to complete writing the (largest)file. E.g. if the maximum time that the ABAP program would take to create the file is 5 mins, the parameter can be provided a value of 5500/6000 millisecs.

The way this works is that after the polling interval starts, the adapter will check the target file twice in the duration(once at the beginning, and once at the end) that you will be specifying for the parameter. It will act on the file only if the target file is unchanged in this duration. If it detects a change, the action will be abandoned for the current polling sequence, and would be tried again during the subsequent polling.

If the maximum time that the ABAP program would take in writing the (largest) file can be determined accurately, then this method will be easier than a ABAP customization.

Thanks,

Anand

former_member387652
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Evgeniy,

I will increase as well as can you pls guide me to add additional file as marker? How to do this?

Thanks!

former_member190293
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In channel settings you have an option to use additional files. There you can set the name for such file along with parameter "optional=false".

Thus adapter will take the main file only when additional file exists.

Regards, Evgeniy.