Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUM (software update manager) in batch/dark mode

former_member283348
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

Does anyone know if there is a way to run SUM tool for updates/upgrades in batch mode and if there is any official documentation on the matter?

The idea is to have the tool pick the input parameters from configuration file/or run it with parameters so you don't need to "babysit" it trough the processes - aside from checking the logs of course.

Regards,

Vasil

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Vasil,

Hope you are doing good.

Earlier we had a tool called RAPID INSTALLER that used to do something similar. Hopefully something this sort will be available for SUM.

There are Zero downtime/ rolling kernel options presently.

Hope this helps.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _

Kind Regards,

Hemanth

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Join me online: http://scn.sap.com/people/hemanth.kumar/content

former_member283348
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thanks Hemanth,

NZDM is a tool that behaves in a similar way as SUM (UI based). And rolling kernel switch is a feature in LVM and SUM which expects interaction with the end user. So I'm not quite sure how those cover requirements to have options to run updates in "batch" mode.

Batch mode for updates/uprgades will be quite useful in cases like:

- great number of similar systems which need to be updated.

- way to decrease the downtime of the an upgrade/update in case it was tested in environment close to the one to be updated (with DEV/QA/PROD landscapes , this is a viable option I think) and relying on automated process is usally faster in overal than expecting user input.

- speed up the tests of new SPs/patches which will make adoptions of newer releases of NW easier and clients more inclined to do those.

Just my 2c.

Regards,

Vasil

0 Kudos

This would be awesome feature to have! It is an industry standard to provide such options, considering the fact that they should have been available for internal use, for testing the different installation or update/upgrade options.