cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tare weight maintained manually in packing instruction is disregarded for partial pallet quantites.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All.

I have created pallet packing materials (VERPs) in ECC6 material master and given them a default gross weight of 1 kg.

The verps are used across multiple materials with a variety of ancillary packaging and associated weights, so I do not want to create multiple variants of the verps based on gross weight.

I have then created packing instructions using these verps and maintained the weights manually.  e.g. TAREWEI = 13.5kg

As the load weight is pulled in from the gross weight of the material master of the loaded material, the total weight is calculated correctly.

However, when this packing instruction is called for a pack proposal, the manually maintained TARE weight from the packing instruction is ONLY used for HUs that meet the full pallet requirement.  If there is a partial pallet quantity, then the system uses the gross weight of the verp from the material master record, not the packing instruction!  i.e. the tare weight is shown as 1 kg, not 13.5 kg.

I have checked SAP Notes / ONE SUPPORT and cannot find this issue resolved anywhere.

Any knowledge or remedy actions you know will be greatly appreciated and rewarded.

Regards

Rod

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't you buy those pallets? Don't you use material masters to support purchasing activities and to store and plan those packaging materials?

It would make the whole process much easier to have individual material masters. The users would only need to choose the right one and no need to maintain texts manually in POs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Juergen.

The purchase of the packing materials is done against a normal MM record.  These packing materials are then consumed in the BOM for process orders.  The VIRTUAL packing materials (VERPS) are set up to allow us to have multiple weights and dims against the packing instructions based on the materials packed on the pallets.  In the verp MM the gross weight is defaulted to 1kg. 

So, as an example, I have a non nested (single level) packing instruction for a pallet with footprint 120x100cm and it has a height when empty of 20cm.

The empty pallet weighs 10kg as it sits on the floor.

I have 24 boxes sit on the pallet, (3 layers of 😎 where each empty box weighs 0.500kg and each box has a height of 40cm.

So just with pallet and boxes I have a tare weight of 22kg, no material.

The material is irrelevant as it is always pulled from the material master gross weight into the loading weight field, but for the exercise 1ea = 1kg.

Now, my created packing instruction reads

generic shipping pallet x 1

material content x 240ea

In the weights and dims tab I manually maintain the dims to be 120x100x140cm and the weights to be 22kg Tare Packaging.  The load weight is pulled from material master of the packed material as 240kg giving a total weight of 262kg.

When I manufacture multiples of 240ea, the pack proposal finds this packing instruction and uses the weights and dims exactly as shown in the PI.

If I manufacture 478ea, I will get one pallet HU for 240ea with the weights and dims as in the PI, and the part pallet HU will have a weight of 1kg for the pallet and 238kg for the load weight, and the weight of the 24 boxes will be lost, i.e. packaging weight 1kg, total weight 239kg

This also affects onward documentation, such as packing lists etc.

I just want to know how to ALWAYS pull in the weights and dims from the packing instruction when using a pack proposal, even if it is NOT a full pallet quantity.

N.B. The 1kg default is used as an obvious visual indicator for the outbound operators to know the weights are incorrect!!

Regards

Rod