cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM Data Protection for SAP HANA - no recovery possible

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

we are encountering problems when trying to recover our SAP HANA Database via hdbbackint. We can backup the system not only via HANA Studio over backint, but also over transaction DB13. It is a single container database and the DB host is not the same as the SAP application server (Distributed System). We can also ping the Tivoli Storage Manager and telnet to port 1500.

However, when we are trying to recovery the database it doesn't work. on HANA Studio (doesn't matter if as user SYSTEM or as Schema User SAP<SAPSID>), I am selecting Backup and Recovery -> Recover System -> confirm prompt that system must be offline -> specific data backup -> select backup from catalog using backint only. in /hana/shared/<DBSID>/global/hdb/backint, there is a named pipe created called log_backup_0_0_0_0, which according to command lsof is occupied by both hdbbackint and hdbnameserver with OS-user <dbsid>adm, so the HANA Studio seems to be calling the TSM for a list of backups, but it just never shows them. If I am monitoring traffic over the network via command "iftop", it is shown that the HANA Server and the TSM are communicating with only 5,86 Kb/s witch each other, so there is not much going around. So basically, we never get a list of available backups in hANA Studio which should be the case

As a workaround I tried to restore the database using hdbbackint from command line. At first I am issuing as User root:

OS>cd /hana/shared/<DBSID>/global/opt/

OS>./hdbbackint -p hdbconfig/init<DBSID>.utl -u <DBSID> -f inquire

then at the prompt i am stating

#NULL

and pressing Ctrl+D

and voila - I am actually getting a list of backups. So the backint basically works. But when i try to restore via

OS>./hdbbackint -p hdbconfig/init<DBSID>.utl -u <DBSID> -f restore

and at the prompt i am either stating

<Backup ID> /hana/shared/global/backint/log_backup_0_0_0_0

or

<Backup ID> /hana/shared/global/backint/COMPLETE_DATA_BACKUP_0_0_0

<Backup ID> /hana/shared/global/backint/COMPLETE_DATA_BACKUP_0_0_1

<Backup ID> /hana/shared/global/backint/COMPLETE_DATA_BACKUP_0_0_2

<Backup ID> /hana/shared/global/backint/COMPLETE_DATA_BACKUP_0_0_3

and pressing Ctrl+D

The system just tells me that it cannot read the file (error code 2). And this is basically the case because there are not named pipes created under /hana/shared/<DBSID>/global/backint and I am assuming that as long as the named pipes don't appear the backups can't be retrieved by hdbbackint

So as a 3rd option, i wanted to try restoring via command line. So what I wanted to do was stating these 3 commands

ALTER SYSTEM STOP DATABASE SAP<SAPSID>

BACKUP COMPLETE LIST DATA USING CATALOG BACKInT LIMIT 10

RECOVER DATA USING BACKINT ('/usr/sap/HP7/SYS/global/hdb/backint/COMPLETE_DATA_BACKUP') CLEAR LOG

But - of course - I cannot do ALTER SYSTEM STOP DATABASE because my database is single container.

So what can I do to make this work? Please help.

Best regards,

Anreas Loibl

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear experts,

I just wanted to share that the solution was to get an interim patch from IBM according to SAP Note 2226662. After applying new version to TSM backint client, recovery was possible.

Best regards,

Andreas Loibl

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

we have the same problem.

Unfortunately the SAP note 2226662 is not available (till now), could you please share some details regarding the interim patch from IBM?

thx

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rüdiger,

you have to raise the versions of / to

TSM-API

1. 7.1.3.1

TSM Client

1. 1.0.3.1

to get these software components in these versions, you have to contact your software provider or IBM support. please provide points if the answer was helpful for you

Best regards,

Andreas

Answers (0)