cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Restore and Recovery

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Experts,

We have Client export(SCC8) and import(SCC7) activity every month from Production client to QAS client for testing. And due to huge data it is taking 2 to 3 days and sometime it fails.

1.Can we go with option DB restore and recovery method. Which one is simple and the best.

2. Can we use BRTOOLS for this. Pls suggest.

Thank You,

Mohammad Nahid

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185327
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed,

Since the Production System's database is usually have very high volume, doing a client copy approach is not a very appropriate choice.

I also understand that you are transferring all the data from Production to Quality system here.

So since it's a once in a month only activity, the right choice would be to yes, go with the Backup and Restore method.

Now you also have mentioned the term BR Tools, so you are having Oracle Database in your landscape. If you are having separate Team, then I guess they will take the backup or if you have to look after the DB part then yes you can use the BRTOOLS to take the Full Backup before the System Refresh.

BR Tools usage will be a part of the entire System Refresh from Production to Quality.

However if you have any queries, kindly keep us posted. You will get all the help you need.

Thanks and Regards

Anurag

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anurag,

In this case. Could you please provide me the steps for BRTOOLS.

I just need to copy the production client data to QAS. Problem is we have different client numbers in PRD/QAS ex: PRD has 200/300 clients where as QAS has 500/550.

i do not want any change in QAS client number.

Is this possible ?

Thank You,

Nahid.

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

BR*Tools is used for Oracle database specific operations. It will not let you do a client specific export and import. Based on your requirement the best option is to:

Perform backup and restore of PRD to QAS. This option will replace the existing QAS system data completely with the PRD data. You will lose all the clients. After the database copy you will need to recreate the old clients 500 and 550 and schedule client copies to have them with the data from the others client. Again clients 500 and 550 will be with the data from PRD. Afterwards you will need to schedule client deletion to remove the unwanted clients (200 and 300). This is a time consuming operation and also you will need additional space for the database temporarily. As you have mentioned that is a monthly activity I would recommend to keep the QAS system same like PRD with the client number so that in future you just have to do a database backup and restore without the need to perform client copy and client deletion.

The other options are, perform the client export/import but use an exception list to exclude the unwanted tables. There is also an SAP solution called TDMS which can help you achieve this.

former_member182505
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Nahid

If you dont need to do system copy , You have to go with client export/import.

what is the size of you client ?

what profile you are selecting for client copy?

which client copy method you are using,?

Did you not performed test run?

Thanks

Sadiq

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Reagan for the valuable information.

After Backup/Restore is done .changed client numbers effect our current landscape ?

I have selected with option Back up and Restore method. My Data Base is oracle with 2 TB. Online Data Backup size 700 GB. I have done the restore by deleting the source files sapdata* Orig* Mirr* Copy cntrl files in different location.

Restore is done. And Control file is created after modification. But to open database we need to recover the database with Archive files (Using Backup control file) with the same sequence of online data backup.

Here we have missed few files. Do we have any work around to fix this ?

Or do we need to restore the latest online Backup with Redo Log Sequence again.

Please suggest.

Thank You,

Nahid.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sadiq,

My DB is 2TB and Client size around 525 GB.

Selecting SAP_ALL Profile

Client Export/Import method

Yes, i did the test run , around 64,901 Tables exists.

I have selected option System Refresh ( Backup/Restore) . My Question is if i chose this option i will lose my existing client numbers for QAS. By this changed client numbers in QAS will my current landscape get any problem ?

Thank You,

SK.Nahid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If you use online backup to restore it is always good to keep all the log files after the backup for a consistent recovery. If you miss some log files, you can try to recover the database using "until time" option in which the log file backup falls. Like this you can recover your database with the available log files and can open it....hope it will help you.

Regards,

Ganesan

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You will need to supply all the archived redo logs created during the backup to open the database else you will not be able to open the database. Check the backup log to identify the logs required for the recovery. If the archived logs are missing then check with the backup team to understand why the logs are missing or if there is some additional steps needed to restore the missing logs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Reagan,

Could you please help me how to make restore from tape drive. Our online backup is taken in tape every day. Below are the details

backup_mode                    ALL

backup_type                    online_cons

backup_dev_type                util_file

Thank you,

Nahid

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed,

For homogenous system copy using br*tools, please refer to 1003028 - Extended support for database copy in BR*Tools.

Regards,

Ning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed.

You can do it by backup/restore. But it will copy all the database and not only the client you want.

What is the size of your DB? I think taht SAP does not recommends to do Client Copy´s from big DB´s.

if you want to go to Backup / restore please talk to your Database Admin and ask him, how long does it takes to do a full backup.

The restore usually takes 2x the time of the backup. Then you can compare the two options (Client Export/Import and Backup / Restore)

Regards.

Osvaldo Dias Ferreira

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information OSvaldo,

I have to do system copy from Production to QAS. My question is , we have two different clients 200 and 300 in PRD. But in QAS we have 500 and 550.

After System Copy i will get same clients of PRD(200/300). But i want same clients in QAS like before(500/550).

Is this possible ?

Thank You,

Nahid.

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed,

For system copy method, you can't change client number. However, if you still need original client number in QAS, you can perform local client copy later.

If you want directly refresh clients in QAS, you can use client copy method. But for large system, it may take several days to complete (for data consistence, better stop production activities in the source and target client).

Regards,

Ning

former_member185488
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed,

You can proceed with DB restore if you feel that the tool with which you are restoring is fast enough.

Regards,

Jegan Raj