cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renew WP Afaria custom Client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guys,

My Symantec code signing certificate will be expire in 20 days, my question is now, what should I do after the renew?

Do I really need to rebuild the complete App and deploy it again to the devices? Do the users have to uninstall the App first or will the App be replaced?

Does somebody have experience with this and can help me please.

Thanks and best regards

Michael

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for the answers.

@Sushmitha, that means the already enrolled devices which has the Afaria custom client already installed will get an silent update? Did I understand you correct?

BR

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

The above statement - The Afaria application is silently installed on the Windows Phone device, when the device enrolls in Afaria management is for the devices to be enrolled in Afaria.

I will check how it works for already enrolled devices and get back to you with an update.

Kind Regards,
Sushmitha

former_member197903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

As per my understanding, there will be no effect to enrolled devices, and custom client will get updated.

There is one more option, where you can create a Custom Client Ent policy and link to the groups, on next policy push all devices custom client will be auto updated.

Regards,

VP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

When you upload the renewed custom Afaria client in the Admin UI, the user will get the new client after doing a manual WORKPLACE refresh on the device.

Give a try on this and see if the client gets updated on the device.

Kind Regards,
Sushmitha

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your support, yesterday I renewed the symantec code signing certificate and created a new Afaria Client for Windows Phone 8.

I just changed the aetx files and the signed WP App in the Afaria interface....

Immedeatelly after an "apply policies" the client was replaced on all of the devices

BR

Michael

former_member197903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

Glad to hear that the issue is fixed

Regards,

VP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Yes, as Mandy said you should upload the renewed certificate in Afaria admin console.

Please take a look at these steps:

1. On the Home page Server tile, navigate to the Configuration Component Windows Phone page.

2. In the AET File field, click Browse and select the AET file to upload. Windows Phone enrollment will fail when the already uploaded .aetx file has expired.

3. Download the unsigned Afaria application (.XAP) file.

4. Sign the Afaria application using the same code-signing certificate used to generate the AET file.

5. Click Browse to select and upload the signed Afaria application.The Afaria application is silently installed on the Windows Phone device, when the device enrolls in Afaria management.

Here is the link http://help.sap.com/Download/Multimedia/zip-afaria/WindowsPhone_Enterprise_Client_Signing.pdf for your reference( Page: 7)

Kind Regards,
Sushmitha
SAP Support Engineer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I believe that the only step you will have to take after renewing the certificate is to replace the certificate on the Windows Phone page of the Afaria Admin with the renewed one. If you were to be generating a brand new certificate (i.e. not simply renewing the expiring one), then you would have to rebuild/resign the client.

To be absolutely certain that replacing the cert in the Afaria Admin is the only step required for the renewal scenario, I have asked for confirmation on this process. I will update this post once I receive it.

Thanks,

Mandy Spivey
SAP Product Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

I received confirmation that as long as the enterprise ID for the code signing cert remains the same, you will only need to replace the cert in the Afaria Admin with the renewed one. As I mentioned yesterday, if you were to create a new certificate (with a new enterprise ID), rather than renew your existing one, then in that case, you would have to rebuild/resign the Afaria client with the new cert.

Hope this helps,

Mandy