cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test management in Solution Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I have one question about test management in Solution Manager ; can you use it for test management for non-SAP applications - for manual testing purposes - without any other tools?

Thanks !

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adeline,

Your question is not answered now?

My question is: Do you use Solution Manager Test Management for SAP Systems already?

Because there is no difference but one important: you cannot add Test Objects for non-SAP applications!

All other is the same:

You create your Business Blueprint process structure in SOLAR01 at least for the Business scenario and process Level. For These 2 Levels you don't need a product dummy for the non-SAP system in the LMDB. But this will be needed as a prerequisite if you add the third level of process steps in the process structure!

Then you create a dummy product system with product instances and assign this to the dummy Logical component to make the non-SAP system-landscape complete. This logical component can be added to your project in the transaction SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN.

After all you can create a test plan if you have created the test cases in SOLAR02 depending on your process level definition mentioned aboth.

May be, this is not that you might have expected. There are no test objects assigned to test documents.

I'm working with dummy logical components on process step level and we are more or less fine with this solution, even it's a more dirty than quick one.

Sorry, if this information will not help.

Best regards,

Adelbert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adeline.

Yes of course, you can use it for manual testing purposes. All you need is a project in Solution Manager with assigned test cases. From my experience also automated test for non-SAP application is possible if your system is HTML based.

You can find also a lot of information in here. Please have a look.

https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SM/SAP+Solution+Manager+WIKI+-+Test+Suite

Hope it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks,

But do you need to connect your non-SAP system to SolMan ; I guess via CCMS to create project / test plan / test cases? Or you will only create an entry and then attach your documents for test cases?

Can you as well use the service desk part for non-SAP systems to raise test case errors?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Connection from SOLMAN to non-SAP system is not neccessary. SOLMAN can be used only as a tool to see testing progress and to record results. Of course you can use internal service desk in SOLMAN. But if you plan to use test management more often it would be better at least use your non-SAP system in service desk as a reference object.

Bye.

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adeline,

It is very important to understand the scenario with its usage to help you decide.

it is not to so difficult today to map nonSAP systems with SLD/LDMB which in turn enables you to do the same. check below link

Managing Non-SAP Product Descriptions - SAP Solution Manager - SAP Library

1774444 - Non-SAP product descriptions in SAP Solution Manager and SLD

further, Test Management process is incomplete without defect part so its better to have that in place which helps you to create IBASE etc for non SAP systems

How to work with IBases in SAP Solution Manager 7.1 Incident Management - Solution Manager - SCN Wik...

Hope it helps further.

Thanks

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thans for that answer.

So that I understand clearly, is it mandatory to have your non-SAP application mapped with SLD/LMDB to track defects?

If yes, can all non-SAP applications can be registered or are there some restrictions.

Thanks

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is upto customer use case scenario and decision whether it has to be or not

there are multiple factors including business decisions etc so difficult to say from generic point of view

Also, there are some license restrictions as well for non SAP systems(check below for non SAP components usage for service desk)

FAQ | SAP Support Portal

therefore, i would recommend to choose wisely and as aligned to your scenario.

Hope this helps further.

thanks

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, that helps indeed!

One thing though I'm still not clear about is if we can use the service desk for a system that is not connected/registered in Solution Manager? and so just enter manually the name of the system for reference?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Those notes are about automation & registering non-SAP systems ; I know that can be done.

What I want to know is if this is mandatory in case of manual testing to track defects in ServiceDesk?

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adeline,

I have already shared the answer that there are various ways to manage it based upon customer use case scenario.

Generally speaking when you raise incident or defect

it is mandatory to have an ibase and this is possible if you have sld or lmdb entry for the same.

Installed Base - SAP Solution Manager - SAP Library

happy to help further.

thanks

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adeline,

in Service Desk it is mandantory to fill data for the affected system.

So you can use some dummy system as your NON-SAP system or you create a DUMMY system in LMDB for your NON-SAP system and use this later.

At minimum you can use your SOLMAN system as DUMMY!!!

Kind regards,

Christoph