cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personas 3.0 SAP GUI and Scripting Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was hoping someone could clarify something for me. With Personas 3.0 and the latest patches for SAP GUI 7.40 you can have Persona Flavours for native SAP GUI for windows. Also I have seen the following note regarding limitations https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2080071

What I am still a little unclear on is how does the Personas scripting (which is JavaScript based) run inside of the SAP GUI?

Will there only ever be a subset of scripting capabilities that will work with the SAP GUI, with more functionality available if you use WebGUI?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The intention, as I understand it (and I don't work for SAP, remember) is that the scripting will be fully supported in all GUIs. The only way in which scripts will be more capable in the webgui is when you use browser capabilities that are just not there in the other GUIs (like storing data in the browser's Window object, which doesn't exist in the other GUIs).

If you compare Personas scripts to the existing native SAPgui scripting you'll see a remarkable similarity. That's no co-incidence...

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Steve, that is good to hear.

So in WebGUI it uses JavaScript and for SAP GUI it runs SAP GUI scripting. So even though you design and develop your scripts via WebGUI and JavaScript, at runtime it is capable of doing some sort of conversion to SAP GUI script. The caveat being obviously that Browser specific features won't work in SAP GUI.

Got it. Thanks again.

clemens_gantert
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Simon,

In Personas you write your script in the WebGui. It's always JavaScript and the WebGui's the only place where you can create and edit scripts. The script "lives" as part of a Personas flavor and if the flavor is applied in say the WinGui the same script is executed. For this to work, the Personas Scripting API (the object interfaces) has to same across GUIs and we put a lot of effort into it to make it so. Now, while the Personas Scripting API is similar to the GuiScripting API, there are differences. Also, the WinGui and the JavaGui which are or will support both the Personas Scripting API and the GuiScripting API will internally have two seperate implementation for these APIs.

Cheers,

Clemens

Answers (0)