cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solman 7.2 Upgrade vs New Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we are planning to go to the next Solman release next year. The question is whether an upgrade or a new installation makes more sense.

Amongst others we re currently using the Solman (7.1 SPS12) for Solution Documentations,Test scenario (appr. 15), technical monitoring (appr. 60 systems)

We prefer to make a new smooth installation and avoid the complicated upgrade process through the dual split, preparation and activation. Anyway we have to adjust all the satellite systems incl. diagnostics because during the process we would get some new machines with new names and domain.

I know it's a lot of effort. But at least I would like to migrate the documents and the projects to the new release. Do you know whether an option exists to export the data and import it into the new Solman? Is there any automated process?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you to all. I will go to the links.

BR

V.I.

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Veysel

Both way it's a big effort as things are completely different in 7.2 so whether its UPGRADE or fresh/new install is always more of challenging/consulting question for any specific customer

however general recommendation from SAP are always plan an upgrade if you are using various functionalities of it and do fresh install only incase it is not used at all or little purpose like EWA etc.

Further, as you have mentioned you would like to migrate PROJECT with DOC to newer version this is definitely not possible and this is the specific reason SAP has given CONTENT ACTIVATION to get transfer project/solution into NEW SOLUTION DOCUMENTATION

Thus, I would request you to please go through below wiki to get more details about content activation process

SAP Solution Manager 7.2 Content Activation - Solution Manager - SCN Wiki

it has pretty good documentation on how you can start preparing today as well.

Hope it helps.

thanks

Prakhar

rishav54
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Veysel

I believe you have to perform the content activation while moving to solution manager 7.2.

I dont believe you can use the transport or export/import method or any method apart from upgrading and migration sap had suggested if you are moving from 7.1 to 7.2 for solution documentation projects and all.

Further you can check below

SAP Solution Manager 7.2 Content Activation - Solution Manager - SCN Wiki

https://support.sap.com/content/dam/library/SAP%20Support%20Portal/support-programs-services/solutio...

thanks

Rishav