Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

workload analysis in ST03N tcode

former_member183707
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Kindly let me know what we are actually checking in ST03N tcode workload analysis

Up to my knowledge we are looking for dialog steps. what are more tab we have to check in workload analysis and what will be max and min value for this individual steps?? Kindly share your knowledge.

As i came across below screenshot. 

Br,

Nilesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ravisha_bhat
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Nilesh,

In St03n we can check for average response, DB response time, Roll wait time for dialogue and Batch steps for days, weeks and month-wise. The background job sap_collector_for_perfmonitor is responsible for collecting these statistics.

Thanks & regards

Raveesha K R

former_member183707
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Raveesha,

Thanks for your reply.

Kindly let me know what will be max or minimum value for this avg response time, DB response time, roll wait time to run system fine for dialog and batch steps?

and one more, suppose the value of dialog steps exceeded beyond his limit value so how to manage all this?

kindly let me know.

Br,

Nilesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nilesh,

There is no specific min/max values, it depends on various parameters. I will suggest you to go through the documentation available on help.sap. Below link should be helpful to you.

Troubleshooting Using Central Monitoring Functions - Connectivity - SAP Library

Also refer to memory management SAP Notes specific for your release and OS/DB.

Thanks,

Manas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nilesh,

You have raised the question I had few years ago, when I started my career in SAP Basis. Let me share you my thoughts and learning related to ST03.

As other community members, ST03 provides to the data regarding the workload on the system and help you with a sort of performance analysis about the system. The avg response time, DB response time, roll wait time, etc are part of a Dialog step and we need to understand that sum each of these response time add upto the final dialog response time. I am not wrong and if my memory is correct SAP's ideal Avg Dialog response time is 2 ms( I could not find the reference link for the same).

As you monitor the system daily you would see the variation of dialog response time will understand your system better, for example if you see that in a month the avg. response time is between 1.2 ms and 1.5 ms and suddenly you see 3 sec on one of days it points out that there is definitely a high work load on the system. Now that we know there is a hike in avg response time, we need to dig further see which part of response time is causing this difference. It could any component of dialog step like DB response time, processing time, roll wait time, GUI time etc.. based on the data available in ST03 Basis team would be able to derive the root cause.

Do remember that the information available in ST03 is not current data and is refreshed hourly. If you would like to get more details on system performance you need to make use of transaction profile, time profile available in Admin mode of ST03.

Also, dont always get carried away with the data available in ST03 for performance analysis, a Dialog response can be affected at 3 main level Application level ( on SAP server) , DB level ( on DB sever) and Network level ( may be issue with front end server). The threshold values you are looking for would vary from systems to system , depending on whether it is a DEV, QA or PRD system and also depends on the user activity on a particular day.

I would suggest you to monitor the system for some time and define system specific thresholds.

The other transactions that could help you with performance analysis would be ST06, ST02, SMLG and EWA reports.

Feel free to let us know if you need any further information.

Regards,

Pradeep

former_member183707
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Manas,

Thanks for the clarification on min/max values.

Br,

Nilesh

former_member183707
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for sharing knowledge.

Feeling good that you share that you also face such questions when you was new to SAP Basis like me.

As new to this am lot of confusion on many areas. the expers like you always helping me on this http://scn.sap.com. it's very useful for any beginners. Thanks a lot.

Yes am daily doing system monitoring here on various tcodes like rz20, smq1, smq2, sm58, sp12, sm37, sm35, al11, sm13,sm12, st22, st03n, st02, st06, sost, sm21 db02. some java system monitoring.

Regards,

Nilesh