cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charm - Downgrade - How to block downgrade?

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

if I try to create a downgrade-szenario, I get at the second change, a warning message on adding the object to the transport order.

So I go to se80, change a object and get a warning, that there are still changes oppen from that object.

However, this is just a warning message and can be ignorred.

How can I change this to a error/stop message, so that if a lock is still existing it can't be changed from another charm transaction?

In downgrade configruation (spro) I've changed already all 4 possibilities to "STOP".
However, it is still possible to create a downgrade szenario.

Just in the charm-ticket I have to "Ignorre" the downgrade and accept the risk.

But I want, that to block a downgrade-szenario so that nobody can create one.

Kind regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

velden_thorben
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Anon,

you need to differentiate between Cross System Object Lock (CSOL) and DGP.

CSOL is the popup when you want to save an object already in process in another transport request, the other warnings for steps (exporting, importing) shown in the ChaRM-Document itself are DGP.

To Make CSOL-popups a showstopper go to spro, navigate to CSOL (or use Tcode /n/TMWFLOW/CONFIG_LOCK) and choose the expert mode in the popup then deselect the mark at "Warning Only".

If you are blocking the possibility to save, there is not really a necessity for DGP-Checks, since they can only occur if you are ignoring CSOL-Popups. Except for decouple and couple TRs to other Workflow Items.

To ignore DGP-Warnings you need to have the right authorizations, to be specific you need the object SM_CM_DGP with the relevant entries. Depending on your configuration of the levels of the warnings ("STOP", warning etc) you also can allow to ignore only specific types of the four checks.

PS: Did you read the guides , Downgrade Protection - SAP Library , How to work with Change Request Management Downgrade Protection DGP - Solution Manager - SCN Wiki and FAQ ?

Regards

Thorben

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Damn->and thank you.

That option I've already seen a lot and I just didn realize that function.

Another question, you might help me.

I've a urgent change hanging in Q system which does not go to prod sysetm, as the components are different.

So in slg1 I can see that error.

If I do a normal transport via SCMA I can activate, that the componenten-different can be ignorred.

How can I set this ignorration in transports, which are done directly via CHARM-Transaction?

Kind regards

velden_thorben
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Anon,

it is afaik not possible to select to ignore the component version when importing via an urgent correction in the web ui.

The only way I know of (and we are using this as well) is to set the TMS-Parameter SP_TRANS_SYNC = OFF (see here: Does not match component version | SCN). But caution, this is now valid for all TRs.

Regards

Thorben

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Thorben,

so in general you have the switch OFF?
Or are you justing changing to OFF, when a urgent change has to go into live system and you have differences in components?

velden_thorben
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Anon,

this is our general setting and always active. Normally, mismatching versions should not occur and are only present during EHP-Upgrade-process. When in this phase, we use ChaRM with caution (ofc, duh). Maybe it would be better to change this parameter when needed, but this status is older than the implementation of ChaRM and we are lazy i guess. Until now we did not have any errors because of this setting.

Thorben

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anon,

you should check or apply SAP best practice for the same.

SAP provides an option for regular import job to have (  IGN_CVER = Ignore Invalid Component Version) in the variant

1897163 - How to configure periodic import jobs in Change Request Management [VIDEO]

therefore during the time it is needed you can use a different variant as per right time to have this option for regular imports etc.

Thanks

Prakhar

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Prakhar,

I already know this.

But this is also not the solution for urgent changes or pre-releases.

Kind regards

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anon,

I understand but what is required in any customer specific scenario always more specific for any customer as we have different features apart from CSOL/DGP like Retrofit/status dependent import etc. aligned to their process/landscape usage etc.

For e.g SAP recommendation is to create a new landscape during upgrade for manage system

and then you have to go for ChaRM retrofit feature as below.

Additional functions of Change Request Management - Solution Manager - SCN Wiki

Again there are different options available but it depends upon customer scenario and ChaRM setup to be perfectly done to adapt it

In addition, I would encourage you to attend SAP EGI for ChaRM which might help you specific to your case.

hope it helps further

Thanks

Prakhar

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Prakhar,

you are completly right.

However, as the option is availalbe in SCMA, at least it also has to be available in urgent changes.

Because exactly this changes, will be imported durring a difference in components.

(e.g. upgrade phase), as you normally just transport in URGENT CASES.

Otherwise you have transport-stop.

But for me it is ok. Protects the system a bit more

Kind regards

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anon,

Yes you are right and this is why you have DGP or downgrade protection functionality in addition to CSOL locks.

As mentioned by Thorben already you need to differentiate between them and first decide the locking mechanism for CSOL pop up etc.

further for downgrade you have to use DGP which will take care of your mentioned downgrade scenario if someone passes the CSOL because it is not always feasible to deny some body to work on a change but we have to avoid downgrade.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Prakhar