cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report on Glossary Extended Collections

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm trying to work out how to report on the Extended Collections in either a list report or through the impact and lineage export to Excel.

What I'm trying to do is group terms together by 'subject area' and then create a list report with each subject area and all the terms without having to open each one individually - so am open to hearing on other ways to do this.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You could create a computed extended attribute on the Subject Area, and populate it using a script that outputs the name and definition (or whatever else you want) for each related Term. I've done something similar in order to provide a summary of attribute details in a text property. The extended attribute can be included in a list report. You would need to get to grips with the GTL, which is a powerful language for extracting metadata from PD as text. For example, here's the top-levl GTL for my entity summary:

Summary for %entityNameCode% at %CurrentDate%

%objectStereotypeIs%

.foreach_item(SuperEntities,Entity "%Name%" is a sub-type of )

\n\t"%Name%"

.next (, )

.// outputs the name of the super type; ignored if entity does not have a super type

%entitySubtypes%

%entityAttributes%

%entityIdentifiers%

%entityRelationships%

%outputDescription%

%outputComment%

Most of the templates it calls (within the %%) are also written by me.

It produces output like this:

Summary for Entity "Entity_1" (Code="ENTITY_1") at 23 June 2016 15:42:15

This Entity does not have a Stereotype

-----This entity has 1 Sub Types.

"Entity_3"

-----

This entity has 3 Attributes.

# "Attribute_1" <M> <pi>

o "Attribute_2"  

o "Attribute_3"  <ai>

-----

This entity has 2 Identifiers.     

- "Identifier_1" (Primary Identifier)

Attributes in this Identifier:"Attribute_1"     

- "AK" (Alternate Identifier)

Attributes in this Identifier:"Attribute_3"

-----

This entity has 1 Relationships.  

"Relationship_1"

Each Entity_1 may from one or more Entity_2.

Each Entity_2 must to one and only one Entity_1.

-----

Description:

-----

Comment:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately without a concrete example and use case it is hard to say if it is possible or not. Generally speaking the list reports only work at one level. So if you are reporting at a term level you can report attributes at the term level. Most importantly a term can only be represented in one line.

So I can say what I have achieved in the past and see if this helps with your question:

1) Extended Category to have a collection of "Uses Terms". This enables a category to own certain terms, and use terms from other categories

2) Extend Term to have an "Extended Attribute" "Used In Vocabularies" - this was a computed read-only attribute that iterated over the terms "ExtendedInverseCollections" and created a ";" separated list of the categories that the term was referenced in. (There was a little more magic - but not material to this)

3) Create a Term list that has in its output the category and the "Used In Vocabularies".

The output from (3) could then be filtered down in Excel to the appropriate sets and used by the users.

Now alternatively you could write a custom extract/report that loops over each collection and generates the exact output you are looking for, but that moves you closer to a custom coded solution that requires extension work if the format needs to change.

Hopefully this helps,

Gareth