cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Dynamic Entry List' compared to 'Value Help List'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a question regarding the Dynamic Entry Lists.

Noticing that Value Help Lists only show entries of existing data (e.g. 2003, 2004 ).

The 'Dynamic Entry List' is showing a wide range of values (e.g. 2000,2001,.....2010) although only data for 2003 and 2004 exist.

My Questions:

1.) Is this the main difference between the 'Value Help List' and the 'Dynamic Entry List'?

2.) (and more important) Is there a way to make the 'Dynamic Entry List' automatically to show only those values for which data is existing?

Many thanks in advance!

Mark

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

The value help and the dynamic entry lists depends on your data service, that means that it returns existing values of your backendsystem. If you want additional values you can add them in the dynamic entry list or you have to add values in the backend system (with abap this is done in a few seconds).

I would say that the difference between value help and dynamic entry list is, that in VH you can search for a value and if you use a dynamic entry list, e.g. in a dropdown you can not search via an input field.

But why do you need the differences? - Have you any requirements, maybe we can give you a better answer if we know these requirements.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcel,

As I have seen in the forum, only 45 minutes later somebody (Roy) has placed a similar question. My task is to develop a model on our existing demo-data.

The demo-data (from an BI 7.0 System by query) contains only data from one month in the year 2006.

When I create an Value Help the resulting list is showing me only the year 2006, whcih is reasonable because only for that year data exists.

A dynamic drop down list offers me values between 2001 and 2010, although only values for 2006 exist.

Is it possible to 'convince' the dynamic list somehow to show me only the year 2006 (like the value help does)? I want it to offer me only those years for which values exist.

Referring to "Roy's" question, I assume this is not possible to be done within VC?

Sincerely,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

if you use the same data service for the value help as you have used for your dynamic entry list then you get the same values. You said it is for a demo, why don't you copy the data from 2006 to the other years (2001 to 2010)?

Have a closer look to your model and compare the data services of VH and DEL. I'm sure you use different data services.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcel,

Oh no. The difference is, if I generate a Value Help, I can set "Get data from" either to "Dimension Table" or "Master Data Table". If I set it on "Dimension Table" I see only the years for which data is available. I used the same query and one time I used the 'Value Help' and then I used the 'Danamic Entry List'.

The dynamic entry list is showing me "2001-2010" although there are only Values avaiable for March 2006. The 'Value Help' is only showing me "2006" which is much nicer, because I also use a dropdown List for Year/Week. The "Dynamic Entry List offers me values from 200101 up t0 201049, but only 4 weeks are existing. A search in the dropdown menu offered by the dynamic entry list is very annoying.

My project leader would like to have drop down menues and not Value Help Tables popping up, but he would like only those years been shown for which data is existing.

Currently I have no clue how to realize that.

Yours Mark