cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle RAC environment hosting multiple SAP components

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have a 3 node Oracle 12 RAC cluster supporting our ECC environment on physical servers that are being under utilised.

We'ld like to look into the possibility of using the same RAC cluster to host an additional SAP component database. Meaning a total of 6 databases over 3 nodes.

The only notes and blogs I can find seem to discuss MCOD (ie multiple schemas within one database), multi tenancy (not yet supported by SAP) or traditional RAC.

I know it's technically possible to do but would like to know if anyone out there is using this method and what SAP notes they relied on.

We'ld like to eventually use this for PRODUCTION environments to cut the amount of 'tin' we use.

Appreciate any feedback

regards

- LY

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

This has now been resolved.

As part of SAP note: 527843 - "Oracle RAC support in the SAP environment" SAP mentions:

---------------------------------------

Mandatory Oracle release combinations when using RAC with SAP:

Oracle CRS 10.2.0.2 with Oracle RDBMS 10.2.0.2 or

Oracle CRS 10.2.0.4 with Oracle RDBMS 10.2.0.4 or

Oracle CRS 10.2.0.5 with Oracle RDBMS 10.2.0.5 or

Oracle CRS 11.2.0.1 with Oracle RDBMS 11.2.0.1 or

Oracle CRS 11.2.0.2 with Oracle RDBMS 11.2.0.2 or

Oracle CRS 11.2.0.3 with Oracle RDBMS 11.2.0.3 or

Oracle CRS 11.2.0.4 with Oracle RDBMS 11.2.0.4 or

Oracle GI 12.1.0.2 with Oracle RDBMS 11.2.0.4

Oracle GI 12.1.0.2 with Oracle RDBMS 12.1.0.2

In this case, it is permitted to operate several Oracle RAC databases on a cluster (CRS) that is used jointly.

-----------------------------------

regards

- LY

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Laikat,

Check note 1727160 - Shared Oracle Homes

May the instances of different RAC databases use the same Oracle Home that is installed on the shared file system?

Answer: Yes. Two or more RAC databases (of different SAP systems) on the same RAC cluster can share the same Oracle Home.

This type of Oracle Home Sharing can be called "Double-Shared RAC Oracle Home" because the Oracle Home is used not only across RAC nodes by RAC instances of the same RAC database, but also across databases by RAC instances of different databases.

Regards,

Ning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your response Ning,

As part of my research I had come across that note but it doesnt refer to cohosting multiple databases. An example of something that does is:

Oracle Official Line: "It is supported to have more than one RAC DB running on the same set of cluster nodes" and the reference is Note.220970.1"

The SAP notes I came across are:

1778431 - SAP Installations using Shared Oracle Homes

​​1727160 - Shared Oracle Homes​​

..and the closest message I saw was:

​​105047 - Support for Oracle functions in the SAP environment

"The use of an Oracle Home in a shared file system as a shared Oracle Home for RAC instances of different RAC databases is supported"

I'ld like the SAP opinion as opposed to Oracle's

regards

- LY