cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate SUM with batch file

Former Member
0 Kudos

We would like to automate the installation with SUM of NW because as a service provider we have to industrialize the installations.

Can anyone, Boris for shure, tell us or give us informations about the batch file in SUM ? 

<fld name="SUMBatchFile">

<properties>

<property name ="doc-long" value =" Running the installation while using a stack configuration file enables the usage of this parameter.

Set the parameter NW_ABAP_Prepare_SUM.prepareSUM to 'true' to extract the SUM archive specified with full path and name (*.SAR)  in NW_ABAP_Prepare_SUM.SUMArchive.

In order to also start SUM you set the parameter NW_ABAP_Prepare_SUM.startSUM to 'true'. Note that for a version higher than SUM 1.0 SP11, the SAP Host Agent patch level must be at least 189.

You can run SUM in Batch-Mode by specifying the batch file in NW_ABAP_Prepare_SUM.SUMBatchFile." />

</properties>

<strval><![CDATA[]]>

What can we put or do with this batch file NW_ABAP_Prepare_SUM.SUMBatchFile ?

Thank you in advance

Christian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

I did in the past many SAP Updates/Upgrades (which based on ABAP) with SAP SUM.You did on the QAS and PRD System sometimes the same steps as on the development system and it would be easier and faster if you could automate these steps (for example with a additional xml) -> respone file which will be created at the end of the first upgrade in a SAP landscape upgrade. A additional benefit is, that the SUM can run unanttended and will only prompt you, if differences will be detected or issues appear. It makes updates/upgrades faster!

An other point is, that some customers have more layers as the normal three (DEV, QAS, PRD) or did many test's on a sandbox system.

@Cristian Cordobina: i put your idea into the SAP idea hub . May be we will see it in a future version of SAP SUM:

Automate Software Update Manager for AS ABAP System : View Idea

BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Christian,

Even if you most probably meant my colleague Boris Rubarth, let me explain this from perspective of the Software Provisioning Manager. First of all: good find (was not aware of this line in our code as well).

Let me shortly clarify the context for the community: the above extract comes from Software Provisioning Manager, not from SUM. With the up-to-date installation, you have the option to plan the installation of a system with selected SP level in Maintenance Planner and then use the generated stack XML file for both Software Provisioning Manager and SUM.

As part of this procedure, when started with a stack XML file, Software Provisioning Manager allows to prepare the SUM run, extracts the SUM archives and starts it after the installation of the system with initial load. In the last phase, Software Provisioning Manager shows a dialog with URL to the corresponding SUM UI, which then can seaminglessly be executed.

The above text is extracted from an internal XML file that is planned to be provided for a new unattended execution of Software Provisioning Manager and that only contains this reference together with the up-to-date installation - the planned unattended feature is currently in pilot mode and not officially released so far. The SUM batch execution was, as I also first had to learn, intended for an internal use case that was not realized as initially planned and we therefore will also remove this line from the XML file. Sorry for this misleading snippet - and again, great find !

Concerning batch execution of SUM, I can only point you to the corresponding option for SUM Java, which is described in the SUM Java guide, section "Performing an Automated Update".

Hope this helps nevertheless!

Best regards,

Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I see what you mean, but unfortunately abap is not sdt so there is no DSUServer on abap side. Thank you very much for the very very usefull information. This enforce me to stay on our hacked scripted version of SUM which kickstart a linux box with SWPM and SUM with a XML file. I was trying to find an official way of doing it but seems not to be available soon.

The official SUM is a all-purpose tool, we just need automated install for very specific installations in unattended way so we had to get rid of all of the checks and stuff SUM is doing under the hood.