cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Charm without transport management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi. I have a client who want to replace their very old change management system with Solman. It is already installed but so far they have not used Charm.

They want to use it just to approve things from dev into QA and then into production. They do not want to actually manage transports though, for various reasons they are 100% sure they just want approvals, not transports.

All the guides on setting up Charm talk about setting up transport routes first though.

My question is, is it possible to set up Charm and get approvals on RFC's and / or NC's without setting up TMS?

Thanks a lot,

Dave.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello David,

Answer is yes it is possible and I do have implemented this well where customer are looking for change management process and ofcourse solman provides ITIL based process.

Further,

You can configure RfC and Admin Change/General Change or copy of them as per your requirement

thus, you don't have to configure or setup Normal and Urgent change from standard here in this case.

Please note only normal and urgent change are provided with TMS connection.

I hope this clarifies.

Thanks

Prakhar

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you both. We have it set up then, we have copied the standard RFC and have our own type, and it is starting a workflow and we have the change manager as the approver in the RFC.

However the workflow has no agent and no one can approve it.

Any ideas what could be missing?

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David

There is no agent here but partner called Change Manager whom you can provide Change Manager roles to authorize change request.

Further SAP delivered workflow or ChaRM workflow is entirely different from ABAP workflow.

the processing happens in charm via actions chaning status etc.

check below wiki with lot of doc along with some demos to help you further

ITSM Wiki - IT Service Management and ChaRM Wiki Homepage - SAP IT Service Management on SAP Solutio...

You can share more details to help you further, if above is not sufficient.

Thanks

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot. We have set up an RFC and it has gone for approval to change manager, who is me. I can see it in my list of things to approve, but when I open the RFC and go into edit mode, there is no option to approve in the "activity" column in the approval section. There is nothing at all, the drop down is blank.

Any idea how to get the activities showing?

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

it seems your issue is with Change Approval Procedure ...there are again multiple ways of setting it up

one of the way is shared below

Normally the status values which you see in the approval block is having status profile IT000003.

Kindly check the configuration done for the approval procedure and also authorization for your ID.

also paste some screenshots to help you further

Thanks

Prakhar

rishav54
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David

Yes as Prakhar mentioned, it should be IT00003 profile assigned to it, I remember there is a bug in one of SP for solman 7.1, you may need to upload that profile.

Additionally, check once the status of your RFC should be to be approved and scope is assigned to it.

Thanks

Rishav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Please refer to below link for complete details on Approval procedure:

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/solution-manager/blog/2013/10/31/new-charm-feature-wi...

Please let me know if more details are needed.

Regards,

Deepa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi. I think you are right, IT000003 does not exist in our system, so the available status are blank.

How do I upload IT000003?

Regards,
Dave.

rishav54
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Do you have any backup for same. There is one note

Please check it once,
    Thanks
    Rishav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot. We've had to ask basis to log into 000 to action the note as that's where the config is found.

In the meantime I've configured a new status profile, and we can now see "approve" as an option, but when we try and approve we get the below error.

Wil that be fixed by IT00003 as well?

rishav54
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David

Yes, you need to add first the scope, add a normal change or urgent change as per requirement and then approve.

Thanks

Rishav

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Please provide Project and scope i.e. Admin change etc as also mentioned by Rishav.

further only in status To Be Approved status, it is possible to perform this action as approval block becomes active only in this stage.

Thanks

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried that, but still get the same error, see below. I tried Admin change here as that's what we want as we don't want TMS, but I tried with Normal change and that was the same error. Any thoughts? Thanks very much for all your help.

rishav54
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David

Yes, it is possible but you had to link you domain with solman somehow.

You can then create a copy of admin change or general change and customize it with your own values.

this way you can achieve it for documentation purposes.

tnkx

Rishav