cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UoM in VAT SAP Property tree

former_member212503
Participant
0 Kudos

How Can I group certain uom's in characteristics so that I can allow system to have a group of uom to select . When we select numeric format in ct04 , there we can assign uom . How can I group uom and assign particular group only in ct04 rather having list all existing uom from the system ? Is there already grouping available as standard sap ? let me know .

Regards,

KG

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Krishna

no idea what you are talking about. You define the characteristic. During this you assign the "UOM" (more or less). To make an example: check the "value" in "density". The characteristric should have assigned an UOM of type "Mass/Volume". Depending on the number of conversion factors you maintain the list of allowed "UOMs" is "longer" or "shorter. And to have this list in place is a great benefit. EW.g. most of the companies are using "Fahrenheit" as dimension of temperatur in NAFTA area but "°C" in most cases all over the rest of the world. To be able to maintain data records in different specific UOM is a "Must" and I have not heard of any company willing to reduce the list of UOMs as preparfed in the system. IN most cases it is the other way around. They want more UOMs (especially in the are of "mass" you can have very nice discussions ith your customer as we have a "european" poound, british pound and american type of pound (and may others as well) and you must support this in the system

I do not understand your "grouping" topic...

If you set up for the first time a SAP ERP system than e.g."log on languages", "countriers", "concurrencies" etc. are the first custimizing step you will look at. Same for UOM.

BUT BE VERY CAREFUL WITH UOM: This is once of the "core pieces" in SAP ERP setup. There is absolut no error allowed here in set up (it is very tricky to get rid of "wrong" defined UOMs)

C.B.

PS: PLease do not combine characteristic definition with lookand feel in CG02. For other SAP ERP modules the topic is totally diiferent (e.g. you can have material classes, bact classes etc.). The UOM topic is very central in SAP ERP set up

former_member212503
Participant
0 Kudos

chris ,

My question was let us say for density , how do you assign all different density related uom to it and how do you do that ? Similarly let us say I want to configure one VAT which I want to tie with three unit of measure ( degree centigrade, gm/cm3 and length ) Can I do that ?

Regards,

KG

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

that's senseless and cannot be done. Density is measured in weight/volume, there is no point in assigning  a temperature to this characteristic.

Ralph

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Krishna

we still may be talk "different" language.

For "My question was let us say for density , how do you assign all different density related uom to it and how do you do that" => the characteristic defined by SAP is having the dimension "mass/Volumen", Any similar UOM is "automatic" available as UOM for this characteristic (kg/m3; g/cm3, g/ml etc.)

And therefore teh set up of UOM is the core critical piece for SAP ERP system (and not only for EHS only): If you do mistake then you have big big issues !

If you dig deeper in EHS data model you will find properties (especially in the area of eco, or tox properties) there you have more than one characteristic to maintain the "value" Any of these characteristics does have its own assignment of an UOM. And that is the "trick" SAP has used. So if you need one property any you have one value to be measered in " degree centigrade, gm/cm3 and length " then you need three characteristics in one class to do so.

For e.g. WWI development: There are some special "logic" delivered so that you can do this:

If data is maintained like "100 K" you can use this to display in thw WWI report this value (converted value) in "°C", "F" or whatsover

C.B.

former_member212503
Participant
0 Kudos

exactly ,

in one instance , I was trying to put all temperature related units  in ct04 characteristics . Data type I used was Numeric format where unit of measure pops up . I can put only 1 value there so I did put degree centigrade .There is no any option to put temperature group ( which you can see in CUNI ) .

the system is not showing me an option to select different temperatures besides degree centigrade in property tree .

former_member212503
Participant
0 Kudos

Also I want to do the uom conversion .Any idea how Do I set up in the system so it does the conversion when I want to switch to different unit of measure

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Krishna

you are thinking in "wrong" direction

In context of:

"There is no any option to put temperature group ( which you can see in CUNI ) ."

Lez us start first with thevia of "VaT" (in cg02). If your UOM set up is up and running fine you can maintain in characteristic of type "temperature" anything like "100 °C", "100 K"or "100 F" etc. (as long as the other UOMs are set up as well and the conversion factor is defined)

IN context of characteristic definition: as explained. you assign the "dimesion" (UOM) and some other stuff and that's it. Any thing  else is not part of EHS set up but part of "core core core" set up of SAP ERP.

C.B.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Krishna

here I can not follow your  explanation and don't understand what you would like to achieve. In CG02 you can "convert "(check online help) if UOM conversion is set up. (for charactersitics only !!)

This is simple "use" of the proper SAP EHS functionality

C.B.

Answers (0)