jmtorres
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Good day,

Having :

ASE 16.0 sp02 as primary  at host_1

ASE 15.7.0  as catalog ( RSSD) for  Rep server version 15.7.1, both at host_2

ASE 16 sp02 as replicated at host_3

Environment : WS pairs local (same site  and no routes)

-Could we keep using ASE catalog version at version 15.7 and RS 15.7.1 for both ASE 16 primary and replicated?

-If we choose to upgrade  ASE catalog ( 15.7 ) to 16 , which would be recommended steps for this operation, assuming ASE 16 can act as RS 15.7.1 catalog?

Would it be enough to :

At host_2 with  ASE 15.7 catalog:

-backup system db's  plus RSSD

-install  a new ASE 16 at host_2

-load system db's backups plus RSSD into ASE 16

Thank you

Regards

Jose

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

jmtorres
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Avinash,

I'm clear about "in place upgrade" no loads db's are needed(just backups in case something goes wrong)

Regards

Jose

jmtorres
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Mark & Avinash , Thank you very much.

For now we'll keep using ASE 15.7 and RS 15.7.1 SP203 and then I'll suggest an in place upgrade if needed.

PS : by system db's I meant ( master, model,etc)

Regards

Jose

former_member89972
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jose

You do not need to load system databases in either case (new or in place upgrade) !

New : will have new master and model automatically created when you create the new instance

Old   : there is no need to load.

Having said that you should have the backups should things go south and you need to re-create the current setup.

HTH

Avinash

former_member89972
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not clear when you say load system database into ASE 16.

If it is a new host + new instance then you will need to create the new RSSD (at least a shell for the load) with matching device sizes.

If it is in place upgrade from 15.7 to 16 then there is no need to load any system databases.

RSSD will get upgraded in the process.

As Mark has given an excellent and detailed feedback make sure that replication pipeline is shut off during the RSSD upgrade. And operation sequence is followed as suggested.

HTH

Avinash