cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metapedia and Metadata Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Q1:      Is there any workaround solution to automate import/export process - metapedia business terms ?

Q2:      When there is a structural change in source, it will be extracted via integrator connection task in IS and changes will be reflected in the metadata management ? Functionality of Metapedia and Metadata management can be combined ? How to track changes and business terms needs to be updated ?

Does any changes (data types , length or new field addition) to source can be captured in IS ?

BR

Nethaji Guru

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

adrian_storen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Nethaji,

Q1:  Yes. You can use the Import and Export features of Metapedia to bulk move terms.  There are also web services that could be used to extract terms.  Any more automation to load would require custom ETL/ services to insert data, which may cause issues.  I believe there is a change coming to import terms from PowerDesigner.

Q2:  Yes, MM will version the differences in the database.  Metapedia and MM can be combined by linking terms to objects, but you cannot create in Metapedia after auto creation (not without a custom DB trigger).  You could build a universe to merge information and track changes required.

Yes, changes to sources are captures in MM.

regards

Adrian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Adrian Storen  can you explain how to combine metapedia and metadata management ? How to get the list of metadata tables and build universe ?

adrian_storen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Nethaji,

The easiest way would be to create and run integrators then bulk load in your terms into Metapedia and link in Metapedia to the technical objects.  Unfortunately, the bulk import is not great to script the link to technical objects at times (as it requires the path and name), but if you create a few then export the terms you can play with it and import terms with the relationship between the term and the metadata object.

Then create a universe using the objects in the IS repository.  The terms are stored in MMT_BUSINESS_TERM (current terms in the MMB_ equivalent), the relationship in MMT_RELATIONSHIP (MMB for current) and then you need to join to the relevant object that you want to report on (eg current db tables are in MMV_RELATIONAL_TABLE, db columns in MMV_RELATIONAL_COLUMN, etc).  There are also MMRV views that bring together some of the relationships that might make it easier to

It makes a lot more sense when you're looking at your own data in the tables.  So after you've set up a few relationships, have a look in the database depending on what you're looking for.

I was not able to find a data model from SAP on how the IS repository is designed so I drafted on pen and paper and then build what the users wanted into a universe (some requirements were on the current version (eg HANA/ Oracle tables) and some to list all versions (eg terms).  I've heard SAP might be releasing a universe over IS repository however I haven't seen anything yet.

regards

Adrian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Adrian Storen I will work on this and post if it works