Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Lumira Desktop - Limits for using Large Datasets from Universe

former_member206661
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was reading the SAP Lumira Supported platforms for 1.30 and it says:

'The usage of universe data acquisition on large data volumes is not supported..' see release restrictions.

Well I looked in release restrictions and couldn't find a reference to this.

Can anybody shed any light on this, I have used SAP Lumira to acquire what I would consider to be large data volumes, @ 1million cells and it seems ok, not quite sure what is and isn't supported here?

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

varunanand
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Howard,

According to SAP user guide for v1.30,

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/vi01/en/lum_130_user_en.pdf

The maximum number of cells that can be acquired is determined by the capacity of your computer. You will be warned when an acquisition includes 30 million cells for 64-bit operating systems or 15 million cells for 32-bit operating systems.

I have pulled in data as big as 14 M cells from csv and HANA as data sources for stress testing. But as Jay mentioned, the performance degrades significantly.

Thank you,

Varun Anand

former_member206661
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

Thanks for your reply, have you had any experience in terms of quantity of cells acquired from SAP BI Platform via universe?

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Varun, out of curiosity, what did you set the safety belt limiter to in those test conditions?

varunanand
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Howard,

The largest dataset that I have acquired from Universe is not more than 250K cells, as Lumira provides direct connectivity to most of the data sources.

The question then would be why would you want to bring so much data into a front end tool ?

As best practice, about 80% of the data preparation work is expected to be performed at the data warehouse level and then consumed into the front end tools even if there is a semantic layer. In case there is large volume of data that still needs to be analysed, a summarized view would be an efficient route.

Please let me know if there are any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Varun Anand

varunanand
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

That's a really good question, I think the limit was set to 1M when I was testing these conditions. As a result it used to throw the safety belt error while connecting to BW.

As a workaround, we had to break the data as 700k * 20 and append as csv files. We used HANA to build summarized views later and then consume this data to make it more efficient.

The whole purpose of this exercise was to test the capacity of Lumira during different phases. It took a really long time acquire the data or open the document, but worked fine during visualize and compose.

Thank you,

Varun Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Interesting.  In my tests, I could not exceed the safety belt limiter using Lumira.  It had to be done on the server side.  It seems that 1.31 is going to allow that override to happen from the client side?  I wasn't sure if I was interpreting the slide I saw correctly.

SRodriguez
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

I have problems with the number of cells to raise with Lumira desktop connected to SAP BW.

I see you've been able to test the stress of Lumira Desktop and I think maybe you could guide me with my problem.

The problem is:

Result too large (4507412 Cells). Data retrieval restricted by configuration (maximum=500000 Cells).

Version Lumira Desktop: 1.31

Version SAP BW SAP_BW 730 level 0004

We have modified the RSADMIN but this is not enough ...

with the program SAP_RSADMIN_MAINTAIN

Specify OBJECT = BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_MAX = 5.000.000 (with 5 millon cells)

This change was made, however I can not do the extraction from BW to Lumira Desktop.

Continues to take the parameter of the 500,000 cells and do not know where it is reading.

in the SAPLumira.ini we are included:

-Dhilo.maxvizdatasetsize = 5000000

-Xmx2048m

But the problem persist, with same error

We not have installed de Lumira Server and we dont have planned to do that.

Do you know something else to resolve this problem with de Lumira Desktop?

Thanks in advance,

Sebastián.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sebastian, in your LUMIRA.INI file try adding the following.  The below are from my INI file so feel free to modify as necessary but my default limit is 5M cells with my max limit being 10M.

-DBICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_DEF=5000000

-DBICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_MAX=10000000

varunanand
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

I think Jay had a similar issue and he resolved it as mentioned above.

In case you run into memory issues while making this change, you can refer to

Thank you,

Varun Anand

SRodriguez
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Varun & Jay
Thank you for your help.
With this parameters in SAPLumira.ini the issue has been resolved.

Best Regards,
Sebastián.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If universes behave anything like BEx queries, it is possible to set the safety limiter in BO to exceed the default 1.5M cells.  I am testing with a 5M cell limit and Lumira is pulling that data in without complaint.  However, be warned that at that level of data, Lumira is VERY memory intensive and performance degrades significantly.

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Howard,

It depends on your desktop RAM if you are using Lumira Desktop in this scenario

As for release restrictions, the best I could find was in older releases:

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/1927144

"

4. Data acquisition on UNV and UNX universes

i) The data acquisition of medium-large, large, and very large datasets from UNV or UNX universes is not supported on  default installations of both SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platforms 4.0 and 4.1

ii) It is recommended for customers that want to acquire such datasets to install a SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform (SAP BIP) server dedicated to SAP Lumira and significantly increase the value of the Maximum Character Stream Size of the Web Intelligence Processing Server on that particular server.  Note that increasing this value on a running SAP BIP server can impact the memory consumption and performance of any BI clients tool running on that installation, particularly Web Intelligence. While this practice is not formally discouraged,  we advise customers implementing this solution that they might face memory consumption increases and longer document data refreshes so they will need to monitor the SAP BIP server's behavior adequately to control the impacts"

Source: SAP Note 1927144